[SOLVED] First Budget Gaming Build - Suggestions

Sep 12, 2020
Dear Tom's Hardware Forum

I just completed an important project and wanted to treat myself with a self-build a gaming PC. I have zero experience building a PC so I just use the "How to Ask for New Build or Upgrade Advice" format:

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next 14 days.

Budget Range: up to 1000 CHF after shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, office work, programming, and a little bit of multimedia applications

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Fresh build with the following specifications and reaoning (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/stnGsk);
Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: digitec.ch

Parts Preferences: AMD Processor, nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Why Are You Upgrading: First Build after only Gaming with a bad Laptop (nvidia GeForce Gt 730M)

I am very grateful if someone with experience could give me some advice if my hardware choices are fine, if some parts are bottlenecks or why over-designed.

Thank you for reading and your time.

Yours Sincerely
Andrenius

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will definitly go with a ryzen 5 3600 and and a 600 W Power Supply and have a second look at both the motherboard and the ram.

Have a nice afternoon.

Yours Sincerely
Andrenius
The RAM is pretty good as i am using 16GB 3200MHz CL16 dual channel too and as for the motherboard it is OK if you are only gonna use one gpu and dont want an SLI setup, and will support decent overclocking but if you have enough budget i would suggest go for an x470 like this one
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CX...-max-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-plus-max

its 30 $ expensive than you current choice but will give you better OC experience and 3 x16 PCIe slots.

If limited by budget...

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Hi, welcome to the forum!

If you are thinking of SLI/Crossfire, you won't be able to swing it with that motherboard: only one PCIe x16 slot.

Also, I don't know if using that PSU is the best idea: 400W will give you no room for better graphics/overclocking if you later decide to have them.
Best!

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Superb choices for a person who has little exp in the field, just one tiny nook the power supply wont be enough i am using a ryzen 5 3500 6core with 65 watt TDP and an RX550 4GB OC and a 450W PSU suffice them but what you have as config wont be suffice with 400W try atleast 550W with atleast 80+ bronze and don't by any chance go with the 3400G it willl bottleneck GPU performance, go with the 3600 for sure plz

Sep 12, 2020
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will definitly go with a ryzen 5 3600 and and a 600 W Power Supply and have a second look at both the motherboard and the ram.

Have a nice afternoon.

Yours Sincerely
Andrenius

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

Have a nice afternoon.

Yours Sincerely
Andrenius
The RAM is pretty good as i am using 16GB 3200MHz CL16 dual channel too and as for the motherboard it is OK if you are only gonna use one gpu and dont want an SLI setup, and will support decent overclocking but if you have enough budget i would suggest go for an x470 like this one
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CX...-max-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-plus-max

its 30 $ expensive than you current choice but will give you better OC experience and 3 x16 PCIe slots.

If limited by budget go with the B450M if no then go for the X470

Solution