First build, a few questions, looking 4 any input from experienced ppl

blueangel42

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
Hey so I want to do my first computer build this christmas. Been wanting to do it for a few months now. My current system is a customized HP pavillion about 4-5 years old. If you guys could give me any input from someone more experienced then me, I'd really appriciate it. Like if you think I should get a different part instead of part "X", or any other helpful tips/opinions. I customized my pc on HP's website back then with the fallowing:

Windows Vista 64bit
-500gb Hard drive
-Stock HP mobo (dont really know what kind it is.. But I know I cant OC with it and that REALLY grinds my gears.)
-Intel quad core Q6600 @2.4ghz
-Stock 420 watt power source
-Creative Soundblaster 7.1 surround capable
-4gb DDR2 RAM
-Stock optical DVD drive
-Nvidia 9800GT graphics card

--I replaced the stock optical drive with an LG Blu ray optical drive about a year ago
--I replaced the Nvidia 9800GT with a HD Raedon 6950 GPU 6 months ago

The GPU upgrade was the first thing I ever did to personally customize my computer and I really enjoyed the whole process of doing so. Now I like working on computers lol. I noticed Shogun 2 (all graphics options maxed) would run slow in massive battles so that made me decide to upgrade the GPU.

Now I just got Assassins Creed 3 and I'm not too happy about the fact that I can't completely max the graphics settings unless I want the frame rate slowed and nearly unplayable when I run around any city (as they are all highly detailed) with all those vertual people walking around. I think its because my CPU is not good enough as the game recommends an 2.6 GHz Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9400... Before I purchased it I'd thought that my GPU would take most of the workload off the CPU and let me run all max settings nicely, but that didn't happen. IF ONLY I COULD JUST FREAKING OC. Thanks mobo.

SO now I'm wishlisting my new build parts on Amazon and they are as fallows:
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower USB 3.0 Gaming Case Gunmetal
Just thought of this; not really sure what OS to buy, windows 8 first thing that comes to mind

--ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (dont know what half that means lol)
--TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter
--Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze
--Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
--Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit
All this comes to about $613 and I can get 12 month financing on it.
AND I want to use the fallowing parts from my old pc in the new build to save some money
--My stock 500Gb Hard Drive (will I have any problems moving this to the new system?)
--My upgraded blu ray optical drive
--and my old Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4Ghz CPU

First problem I just realized, and what started this post in the first place; can I get my Q6600 to fit on the Z77 Sabertooth mobo? I feel like i'd have to do some jury-rigging to make it work if its even possible, since the Q6600 uses a LGA775 socket and the Z77 uses a LGA1155 socket. Can the 1155 socket still accept the 775? Basically can my Q6600 be compatable with the Z77 mobo, and if not can I make it work somehow? I do really want the Z77 mobo because its really rugged, I feel will last me a long time, it will take the LGA1155 socket i7-3770k CPU I want in the future, and I can do Crossfire AMD in the more distant future. Untill I get that cpu I want to just overclock the crap out of my Q6600 with the Corsair H100 CPU liquid cooler, and I'm 99% sure I'll need a new mobo to OC at all, and the Z77 looked like the best investment for my money. What should I do? What would YOU do hahaha

Also, I'n regards to OC, I dont suppose there is anyway to OC on my stock HP mobo? I get the feeling the answer is no but just thought id ask.

Is there anything you see missing in my build that I still need to add? Don't really know what else to ask.. I'll make a post if i can think of anything else. In the meantime I guess I'd just also like some basic pointers/tips for me and my specific parts ive listed since this is my first build. I'm not very computer fluent/savvy but I have pretty good common sense which is what got me through installing that first GPU upgrade. God bless and thanks in advance guys!

-Chris

Solution
Thanks for answering the question about hyperthreading for future games, I'm defiantly going with the i5 3570k now. Interestingly enough, just before I saw your response with the z77 mobo link, I had just finished looking at the exact same mobo on amazon, its one of the most popular z77's and not too expensive. I think thats the winner at the moment.

Yeah the software is always at least two generations behind the hardware - that's part of Moore's Law. Games and other applications are now just catching up to quad core technology, it will be a few years before it catches up to hyper threading.

Yeah that board is the same one I have, it's great.

One more question, and its a little off topic; If you bought a HD Radeon 6950...

g-unit1111

Titan
You will *NOT* be able to use a Q6600 in a Z77 motherboard, that will just not work. A lot of the stuff you picked is major overkill - the Sabertooth motherboard and H100 - you could drop those entirely to be able to afford a new CPU. Go with H77 and an i5-3470 if you're not planning to overclock. The Sabertooth is a horrible choice anyways - the plastic thermal armor does nothing to prevent heat loss. It actually traps more heat than it prevents and the only solution Asus could come up with is to include two tiny 80mm fans in the mix.

blueangel42

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
What motherboard should I get then? I'm looking for one that will last awhile so I can expand on my build in the future. If I don't get the sabertooth id hope to save a good amount on another one if it really is just hyped up and sucks like you say it does. I was really taken by the look of it and all the different features it had like the user friendly visual BIOS it has, the 10 min cool down period, the fans, and whatever other tricks and giggles it can do. You really think I should get an i5? If I did I'd get an i5-3570k...
I do really just use my computer to max out games and edit HD videos on occasion, and I know the i7's have hyper-threading, and I know the consensus is just playing games=get an i5, since games don't really use Hyper-threading yet.

BUT that being said I was thinking it would still be best to go for the high end i7-3770k so that if games in the future are made to utilize Hyper-threading I'd be covered.

I really think I want the option to overclock. That way instead of having to buy a new CPU when games start exceeding my CPU power I can just OC the one I have. I wish I'd known that when I got this one years ago...

Why go for the H70 or H80 instead of the H100? is the difference in heat really that negligible?

I think now i'm going to get a new CPU with the build and ditch the CPU cooler for a later date to save money on the build and pay for the new cpu since i want a new mobo. so $610 approx original cost, -$100 CPU cooler and possibly -$225 for sabertooth. Im now thinking about the i5 3570k for $220. Whats a good mobo for me to compliment this system?

g-unit1111

Titan
What motherboard should I get then? I'm looking for one that will last awhile so I can expand on my build in the future. If I don't get the sabertooth id hope to save a good amount on another one if it really is just hyped up and sucks like you say it does. I was really taken by the look of it and all the different features it had like the user friendly visual BIOS it has, the 10 min cool down period, the fans, and whatever other tricks and giggles it can do. You really think I should get an i5? If I did I'd get an i5-3570k...

There's far better boards out there. I think the Sabertooth is way overhyped - I'm not going to say it flat out sucks but there's far better options out there that cost a lot less.

BUT that being said I was thinking it would still be best to go for the high end i7-3770k so that if games in the future are made to utilize Hyper-threading I'd be covered.

Games will not use hyper threading now or several years down the road. Go with the i5-3570K instead, you don't need the i7 for a gaming machine.

I really think I want the option to overclock. That way instead of having to buy a new CPU when games start exceeding my CPU power I can just OC the one I have. I wish I'd known that when I got this one years ago...

You just plain cannot use the one you have in a new motherboard. The 775 CPU won't work with the new socket. Period. If you're upgrading, you will need to upgrade the CPU as well.

Why go for the H70 or H80 instead of the H100? is the difference in heat really that negligible?

There's no point in purchasing any of those. If you're using liquid cooling - use the real thing or don't use it at all. A strong air fan like the Noctua D14 will give you the exact same overclocking results with no riskto your system.

I think now i'm going to get a new CPU with the build and ditch the CPU cooler for a later date to save money on the build and pay for the new cpu since i want a new mobo. so $610 approx original cost, -$100 CPU cooler and possibly -$225 for sabertooth. Im now thinking about the i5 3570k for $220. Whats a good mobo for me to compliment this system?

If you get something like this for your motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544

It covers all the bases and is $100 cheaper. Ditch the liquid cooler for a strong air fan like the D14 or U9B and you have plenty of room in the budget to get the 3570K.

blueangel42

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
Thanks for answering the question about hyperthreading for future games, I'm defiantly going with the i5 3570k now. Interestingly enough, just before I saw your response with the z77 mobo link, I had just finished looking at the exact same mobo on amazon, its one of the most popular z77's and not too expensive. I think thats the winner at the moment.

One more question, and its a little off topic; If you bought a HD Radeon 6950 GPU 6 months ago, you see it being sold on amazon for $215, still about the price you bought it for, and could probably sell it used for $200. If you had the money do you think selling it would be worth going back out and buying a HD Radeon 7850 for nearly the same price or a 7870 for $265? (they actually have a $230 deal w/rebate but thats out of stock)

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah the software is always at least two generations behind the hardware - that's part of Moore's Law. Games and other applications are now just catching up to quad core technology, it will be a few years before it catches up to hyper threading.

Yeah that board is the same one I have, it's great.

One more question, and its a little off topic; If you bought a HD Radeon 6950 GPU 6 months ago, you see it being sold on amazon for $215, still about the price you bought it for, and could probably sell it used for $200. If you had the money do you think selling it would be worth going back out and buying a HD Radeon 7850 for nearly the same price or a 7870 for $265? (they actually have a $230 deal w/rebate but thats out of stock)

Definitely go for the current generation and the best you can get for the money, that will ensure longevity. The 7870 is one of the best out there right now and it's definitely worth the price.

Solution