first build advice

flagellardog02

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Recently I decided to start my first gaming desktop build till now i have choosen these parts:
AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
2xKingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
SeaSonic M12II 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

And have 3 questions
Should I stick with the amd 8350 or should I use anything ?
What gpu is great for gaming and has a go value?
What should I look for in optical drive? Should I go for cheap ones?

Solution
1. Few games use more than 2-3 cores, so the extra cores of the FX-8350 are not worth much.
If you were running multicore apps, yes, but for gaming, nos.
At that price point, I would buy an Intel quad. Their individual cores are much faster at any clock speed.

2. Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.
Whatever amount of ram you buy, do it with a single kit of 2 sticks.
3. My rule of...

tonyzet

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
1) its a pretty solid cpu - keep it
2) depends on your bugdet -note that your current build need a graphics processor in order to function as a modern desktop-
3) to be a dvd-drive, unless you want bluray. :na:

combine1237

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
1. Go with 8320 if to need to save cash otherwise at 200 for 8350 go with intel if you do not need fx processor.

2. Only get one 2x4 gb ram 1600.

3. 760 at 240 USD 770 at 320 USD

4.Cheapest optical drive that reads and writes dvds and cds.

flagellardog02

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Why should I go with only one 2x4 gb ram
And what do I get if I went with intel ?
I know that intel is faster

1. Few games use more than 2-3 cores, so the extra cores of the FX-8350 are not worth much.
If you were running multicore apps, yes, but for gaming, nos.
At that price point, I would buy an Intel quad. Their individual cores are much faster at any clock speed.

2. Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.
Whatever amount of ram you buy, do it with a single kit of 2 sticks.
3. My rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cpu cost for the graphics card. It is the most important component. With a $200 cpu budget, you should be looking at a GTX770 or R9-280X.
For nvidia, EVGA is very good. They have a good US based user and support forum. I like their titan style blower coolers better than the aftermarket fan style coolers.
4. A DVD drive is a commodity today. Samsung, Sony and ASUS are fine. Bypass Blu-Ray unless you need that function.
Verify that it is a sata drive.
5. Seasonic is excellent. It can run a card as strong as a GTX780ti or R9-290.
6. On the ssd, see if you can't budget 240gb. It will hold a fair number of games. Larger ssd's perform a bit better . If need be, defer on the hard drive until you need to store large files such as video's.
7. On the advice question, download now, and read the motherboard and case manuals.
Buy yourself a #2 magnetic tip Phillips head screwdriver. It will be most helpful.

---------good luck-------------

Solution