First build advice

idol_1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hey guys,

After having the urge for literally years to build my own rig, I have finally decided to take the plunge and give it a shot.
My budget is not all that flexable, although i do plan on buying separate parts over the next couple of months. so i may or may not be able to sqeeze a bit more out of my desposable income.

I'm mainly looking for something to game on, although I do use music/film editing software occasionally.

I have so far put together a small shopping list which I have popped together in amazon. although I will obviously shop around.

Tower - Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Midi Tower with Window

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mas [...] 4TX7RGIQWF

Ram - Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R 8GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 Vengeance Memory

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CM [...] 4TX7RGIQWF

PSU - CiT 750W Power Supply Unit with PSU and Dual 12V Rails

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-750W-P [...] 4TX7RGIQWF

Processor - Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sand [...] 4TX7RGIQWF

GFX - EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR Nvidia GTX560 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/01G-P3-146 [...] 4TX7RGIQWF

Motherboard - AsrockZ68 Pro 3 Intel 1155 Motherboard Supports Intel K-Series Unlocked CPU's, ATI Quad CrossFireX, 3-Way CrossFireX

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AsrockZ68- [...] 4TX7RGIQWF

Sound card, case fans, thermal paste and hard drives etc are already taken care of. I wondered if you guys could have a quick look over the list and point out any glaringly obvious errors I have made or better bang for buck alternatives I could consider?

Thanks in advance. :D

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Overall the build will do what you need, however I will throw out a few suggestions.

I've never heard of CiT and never seen them recommended. You can check websites like Jonnyguru.com or hardwaresecrets.com for reviews. Typically brands like SeaSonic, Antec, and Corsair are recommended because they build quality PSUs that actually match their output specifications and provide stable power.

I don't know if you need the Pro 3 motherboard. You can get a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 for significantly cheaper. There is also the Extreme 4 which is between the two boards. If you plan on using a sound card and having SLI/Crossfire graphics then the Extreme 3 wouldn't be suitable.

With the money saved by buying a slightly cheaper motherboard you could upgrade to a 560 Ti.

As for the processor, you didn't say you had a CPU fan. Either pick up a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus for some modest easy overclocking, or you are buying a k-series chip for little benefit. If you don't plan on overclocking you can typically get a i5-2400 on sale and it is only slightly slower and good bit cheaper. Again, you could use the money for other PC improvements (like maybe put it toward a small SSD boot drive)

idol_1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks Nordlead,

I had read a couple of decent reviews regarding the CiT PSU whilst browsing, although i honestly can't remember where, spent about 24 hours straight reading up on various forums and such about everything from PSU's to monitors, so my brains a bit frazzled trying to take in all the new info ;)

I forgot to mention I may consider SLI/crossfire and overclocking in the near future once i have the basics up and running.

I'll definatly look into the motherboard and PSU situation though, and depending on which Motherboard I may be able to live without the soundcard.

Thanks again :)

idol_1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Sorry to be a pain, but i wondered if you could possibly post me a link to the motherboard you suggested with SLI support in mind. i have just given myself a headache searching through hundreds of the things :p

I am based in the u.k, and ofcourse will shop around.

Many thanks.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
heh, I just realized that i looked at on newegg.com is not what I'm finding on Amazon.co.uk. Your links above are broken so I just searched on newegg since they have an easy way to compare products.

Did you originally mean the Pro 3, or the Professional Gen 3?

The model I originally suggested was the Extreme 3 Gen 3.

Based on the image, Pro 3 couldn't handle SLI as it only has one PCIe x16 2.0, but the description says it can handle SLI/Crossfire, so you'd have to point me to a better electronics website in the UK since they don't have that motherboard on newegg. The Extreme 3 Gen 3 can handle SLI and overclocking but only has two PCIe x16 2.0 slots. If you wanted to run SLI and have a PCIe x16 sound card it wouldn't work.

The Extreme 4, or Extreme 4 Gen 3 would both be able to handle 3 PCIe x16 2.0 cards.

idol_1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
i was originally looking at the Pro 3, that you have linked on amazon.

Yeah the description does say it can handle SLI, i've too been using newegg for reference which is a bit awkward. As i can't seem to find the card anywhere in the uk other than amazon that isn't discontinued.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me, i think i'm slowly developing a new interest that could become quite expensive :)

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I went on ASRock's website and Amazon.co.uk has the correct picture but the wrong description of the Pro 3. If you plan on overclocking or SLI then go with the Extreme 3 Gen 3. It is slightly more expensive, but is good for both of those features.

I have to say that while looking at motherboards for my own upcoming build, that I am really liking what ASRock has to offer and the reviews I've read on them are generally really good.

idol_1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Well i got a bit carried away and decided against my better judgement to just order the lot this month.

I went with the Extreme 3 Gen 3 in the end, for an extra £10-15 i couldn't really not.

Let's just hope I now manage to fit everything together ok :p

Thanks Nordlead, you've been a great help.