[SOLVED] First build attempt, no POST

Mar 24, 2020
Hi, everyone.

Hope all of you are healthy and staying safe.

During this quarantine, I'm trying to build a PC for school.

I ordered all the parts (which may be found here).

I set everything up, followed the manuals best I could (except for taking care of static charges while handling the motherboard, which I foolishly overlooked). When I plugged in the system after the build was done, the RAM sticks started lighting up, and when I pushed the power button on the case, the power supply fan lit up too. But when I connect it to my monitor, it doesn't POST. The monitor recognizes that a device is connected, but keeps saying No Signal. I scanned through some forums and tried going through this troubleshooting guide too. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. I tried the CMOS reset, that didn't work either. Used only one RAM stick, that didn't work either and so on.

I also read on that thread that sometimes HDMI capabilities may only be enabled after installing the proper drivers but neither the motherboard nor the graphics card I purchased have VGA connectivity for me to try. The graphics card does have a DVI-D port and I'm thinking of getting one tomorrow to test.

I noticed that the CPU fan does not start when I push the power button on the case, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to all the time. Also neither the NZXT case I bought, nor the Gigabyte motherboard seem to have any sort of speaker or lighting system for me to use in debugging.

I'm extremely frustrated and really don't know what to do.

Do I have a DOA processor? I also noticed that the USB ports on the motherboard are working (charges my phone). Does that mean anything?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Solution
You have the motherboard on the case standoffs correct, not directly against the metal of the case?

The only thing I can think now is that either you have incompatible/broken RAM or something is damaged on the CPU. It could also be a faulty PSU, which if you look around on Amazon or eBAy they sell PSU testers for 10-20 USD.
You must have the monitor plugged into the graphics card, your mobo outputs will not work since the Ryzen 2600 doesn't have integrated graphics.

Make sure you have the CPU fan on the CPU_FAN header. That is the header at the top next to the RAM slots. Page 5 of the manual. Many mobos wont start if they cant detect a fan.

Make sure your RAM is in the correct DIMM slots. Gigabyte is weird with how they label RAM slows but place them in the 1 and 2 slots, Page 5

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-manual

Mar 24, 2020
Hi.

Thank you very much for your response.

I did try using the graphics card ports as well, but no luck. The CPU_FAN is also plugged in correctly, I went back and made sure.

RAM sticks are also in their correct places.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Mlitw4P
<- pic with my setup

View: https://imgur.com/a/FT1Hglp
<- image of board with annotations

What are the chances of the processor being DOA? The CPU fan is not running when I press the power button, even though everything else is lighting up.

Thank you.

Hi.

Thank you very much for your response.

I did try using the graphics card ports as well, but no luck. The CPU_FAN is also plugged in correctly, I went back and made sure.

RAM sticks are also in their correct places.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Mlitw4P
<- pic with my setup

View: https://imgur.com/a/FT1Hglp
<- image of board with annotations

What are the chances of the processor being DOA? The CPU fan is not running when I press the power button, even though everything else is lighting up.

Thank you.

Its possible but rare. Can you take a pic of your whole motherboard?

Mar 24, 2020
You have the motherboard on the case standoffs correct, not directly against the metal of the case?

The only thing I can think now is that either you have incompatible/broken RAM or something is damaged on the CPU. It could also be a faulty PSU, which if you look around on Amazon or eBAy they sell PSU testers for 10-20 USD.

Solution

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Hi, everyone.

Hope all of you are healthy and staying safe.

During this quarantine, I'm trying to build a PC for school.

I ordered all the parts (which may be found here).

I set everything up, followed the manuals best I could (except for taking care of static charges while handling the motherboard, which I foolishly overlooked). When I plugged in the system after the build was done, the RAM sticks started lighting up, and when I pushed the power button on the case, the power supply fan lit up too. But when I connect it to my monitor, it doesn't POST. The monitor recognizes that a device is connected, but keeps saying No Signal. I scanned through some forums and tried going through this troubleshooting guide too. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. I tried the CMOS reset, that didn't work either. Used only one RAM stick, that didn't work either and so on.

I also read on that thread that sometimes HDMI capabilities may only be enabled after installing the proper drivers but neither the motherboard nor the graphics card I purchased have VGA connectivity for me to try. The graphics card does have a DVI-D port and I'm thinking of getting one tomorrow to test.

I noticed that the CPU fan does not start when I push the power button on the case, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to all the time. Also neither the NZXT case I bought, nor the Gigabyte motherboard seem to have any sort of speaker or lighting system for me to use in debugging.

I'm extremely frustrated and really don't know what to do.

Do I have a DOA processor? I also noticed that the USB ports on the motherboard are working (charges my phone). Does that mean anything?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Are you sure you hooked up ALL the power connections to the motherboard? My Z390 has the 24 pin ATX and an 8 pin and an additional 4 pin. (ridiculous - change the ATX spec already to get back to a single motherboard PS connector).

The USB ports charging your phone is meaningless - most motherboards have the power pass thru for charging even when they are off.

DOA processor is possible - as is a gimpy motherboard - my bet is power related.