[SOLVED] [First Build] BIOS - SSD shows up under storage, but not under Boot Devices. Trying to install Windows 10

Dec 3, 2020
Hi there! This is my first computer build and I've searched far and wide on the internet for a solution, but to no avail. I'm trying to download Windows on my SSD. I have windows 10 set to download from a separate flashdrive. My SSD (Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB) does not show up on Boot Priority even if it's the only drive connected, yet it will still appear under storage information. I'm dying for answers to this problem. How can I get it to appear under Boot Priority because I believe that is the solution to my problem.

If I unplug the SSD and leave the flashdrive plugged in, the flashdrive will appear as a bootable device and Windows 10 install screen appears and I can make it up until I need to install windows to a drive. When I plug the SSD back in and select it, it says "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files"

I appreciate the help!!

Solution
try to re rufus your flashdisk with the win10 iso, set it at GPT and UEFI Boot (no CSM). After that try to reset the bios (load optimized default, or use jumper clr_cmos, or just simply unplug psu power then battery on mobo, press power button 10 secs, then put em all back). Go back to bios, see if there is a boot option. also dont forget to set boot at uefi, and turn secure boot off.

For the ssd, if you could go to "Repair My Computer" before you click "Install Now" on corner left bottom, click that repair, then go to advanced options, go click the CMD

then write diskpart then enter, wait till it loads, then write list disk and enter, it will show you the disks
after that do select disk X (x = the disk number of your ssd shown in...
try to re rufus your flashdisk with the win10 iso, set it at GPT and UEFI Boot (no CSM). After that try to reset the bios (load optimized default, or use jumper clr_cmos, or just simply unplug psu power then battery on mobo, press power button 10 secs, then put em all back). Go back to bios, see if there is a boot option. also dont forget to set boot at uefi, and turn secure boot off.

For the ssd, if you could go to "Repair My Computer" before you click "Install Now" on corner left bottom, click that repair, then go to advanced options, go click the CMD

then write diskpart then enter, wait till it loads, then write list disk and enter, it will show you the disks
after that do select disk X (x = the disk number of your ssd shown in list disk)
write clean, enter
write convert gpt, enter
then if you want to create separate partition (drive D: E: etc.)
ex. for OS 128GB, and for D: the rest of the unused drive
write create partition primary size=131,072 (its 128 x 1024) then enter
write create partition primary and enter

then write list partition and enter, look for the most partition,
then write select partition x (x is the partition that holds the most space) and enter

then write format fs=ntfs label (partition name) quick
then write assign letter D

after that write exit, enter, and continue to exit the setup and shutdown. after that boot to your flash drive again, then install as usual, and when you meet the smallest drive that is unformatted, delete that partition, than click on that partition, and install windows.

hope this helps :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Prest99
Solution
Dec 3, 2020
You, my friend, are a SAINT! How did you learn all of this??

Just for anyone else out there who may be struggling with the same issue, just a few points to clarify:

"create partition primary size" should have an "=" not a colon. Example: "create partition primary size=131072"

also "assign label D" should be "assign letter D" I believe. Try 'C' instead of 'D' if that doesn't work.

Follow all the steps. I tried to skip out on a few and it didn't work, but you need to follow all the steps!

after that do select disk X (x = the disk number of your ssd shown in list disk)
write clean, enter
write convert gpt, enter
then if you want to create separate partition (drive D: E: etc.)
ex. for OS 128GB, and for D: the rest of the unused drive
write create partition primary size:131,072 (its 128 x 1024) then enter
write create partition primary and enter

then write list partition and enter, look for the most partition,
then write select partition x (x is the partition that holds the most space) and enter

then write format fs=ntfs label (partition name) quick
then write assign label D

after that write exit, enter, and continue to exit the setup and shutdown. after that boot to your flash drive again, then install as usual, and when you meet the smallest drive that is unformatted, delete that partition, than click on that partition, and install windows.

hope this helps :D

You, my friend, are a SAINT! How did you learn all of this??

Just for anyone else out there who may be struggling with the same issue, just a few points to clarify:

"create partition primary size" should have an "=" not a colon. Example: "create partition primary size=131072"

also "assign label D" should be "assign letter D" I believe. Try 'C' instead of 'D' if that doesn't work.

Follow all the steps. I tried to skip out on a few and it didn't work, but you need to follow all the steps!
I did have the same issue after failing install windows on B75m HD3, so i do use another hdd to make sure the port is fine then do that stuffs, also thanks for the correction, i forgot the details since my latest windows reinstall (changing from i5 3470 to xeon e3 1240 v2). Sometime it is better to manually set the boot to uefi if motherboard support, and turn sata mode to AHCI.