[SOLVED] (First Build) bootloop Z390 Aorus Pro

Feb 15, 2020
Introduction
I'm brand new to this forum, I was very reluctant to sign up just to seek help but after scouring so many posts to try and find a solution I find myself here asking for help.

The issue

So I had gotten excited with the smart idea of saving money by building my own PC for the first time. After watching countless build guides I was feeling quite confident. Now I really regret taking the task on as I've miserably failed. I just hope I can fix whatever is wrong with my system.

Hardware
Intel 6700k (i7 9700k is coming)
RTX 2070 SUPER
4x 8GB DD4 Corsair RAM
+ 2 M.2 drives
H100i RBG PLAT cooler

The issue
When the PSU is powered on, the motherboard lights flash then go off (normal?) But when I hit the power button the whole system lights up. After roughly 15 seconds it powers down. However the interval doesn't seem consistent.

There are debugging lights I'll attach an image but also tell you what they're doing. The CPU LED flickers but it immediately goes to the RAM led which it then sits on for a while. Then it moves to the display LED and sits on it for a shorter while. Finally the CPU light flickers and the pc powers down.

What I've tried / troubleshooted
  • Reseat all ram
  • Only use 1 stick
  • Use different DDR4 ram (my old ones)
  • Reseat 2070
  • Remove 2070 riser and directly use the PCIe slot
  • Use my old 1060 card
  • Reseat the CPU
  • Firmly check all PSU cables l
  • Clear the CMOS as per motherboard instructions
  • Loosen the CPU cooler
  • Swap between the included spare PSU CPU cable and PCIe cable
I beg anyone who is able to help me. I cannot think of anything else and I REALLY hope I've not somehow broken the MB or multiple components meaning it's got to be returned.

Please watch all 3 cycles of the linked video as the length the LEDs linger actually changes on each cycle

View: http://imgur.com/gallery/d1FEEOC

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help and you've gave me so much more hope in this build again.

Though why does this website list it as compatible with the mobo?

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/GigaByte/GigaByte_Z390_AORUS_PRO_WIFI/4385

I have no idea why this website says it is but if you look at the motherboard official website CPU support list you can see the the lowest i7 is the 8700.

https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Even google says this.

"Will 6700k work on z390?

You can't use your 6700K in a Z370 or Z390 motherboard, so the idea of buying a new generation motherboard and using your old CPU is out. You could sell your 6700K on eBay and buy a new generatiion CPU and motherboard. Your memory will be useable in a new generation motherboard."

Feb 15, 2020
6700K ISN'T COMPATIBLE with Z390 , you need to wait for your 9000 series.
You can't use your 6700K in a Z370 or Z390 motherboard, so the idea of buying a new generation motherboard and using your old CPU is out. You could sell your 6700K on eBay and buy a new generatiion CPU and motherboard. Your memory will be useable in a new generation motherboard."

In conclusion, thank you - both of you a lot. As you can see I troubleshooted so much (useless) stuff without even thinking the CPU could have been the issue.

It makes me so much more motivated and is a moral boost to know that its just a case of waiting for the CPU. I've now painstakingly put the CPU, ram and GPU back into my old bench and its up and running so I have a computer to use untill the new CPU arrives.

Thank you for your help, no idea how glad I am to know its a non-crucial msitake. Thank god I'd already ordered a new CPU for it, and didn't plan to use this one.