[SOLVED] First build - Budget game system

aj2k77

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Hi, fantastic forum here and it's helped me with a lot of research with a potential first build for my son. I've picked these parts out and can source them for £500/$615. The only thing that is a definite is the Corsair Carbide case as we already have it at a bargain price. I've used pcpartpicker and it hasn't picked up any incompatibilities but I am concerned over the rgb aspects which my son would like (he's autistic and loves lights, don't hate lol). It will be mostly used for gaming, nothing too fancy just looking to run recent titles at good frame rates and settings.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($118.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8 GB NITRO+ OC Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $537.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-06 14:18 EDT-0400

Solution
I really would opt to not buy a used SSD. A new 250gb SSD can be had for pretty cheap nowadays.

Everything else looks good.

P.S. I have the same GPU and love it.

aj2k77

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Thanks for the response. Can I ask what the negatives are to buying a used SSD drive? Another question I have is that the motherboard has a rgb header which the case rgb would be plugged in to and it also has a separate fan LED header which I'm assuming the cooler master rgb fan would be connected through that. Am I getting that right?

used SSD drive
Some of this applies to used hard drives as well.

1. You don't know what the person may have left on them. Viruses and other nasty things you don't want.
  2. Somewhat more importantly, you don't know the condition the drive is in nor how much of its life is remaining. The old owner could have used the drive for years and constantly been writing to it, wearing the drive down. It could be near its rated lifespan TBW.