First Build - Component and build questions

youngatl

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
I would appreciate your feedback on my first build components and questions below, before I order anything.

Primary uses and priorities:
-Family video editing
-Pictures
-Email, web, and other
-May add TV tuner in the future for PVR functionality
-Quiet operation
-Light gaming, but not a priority
-Budget: About $1,000, although I'm flexible if there is an appealing "bang for the buck" upgrade
-I’m not planning to over-clock, although it sounds tempting

Background:
-New build to replace a 1999 Dell
-Build experience limited to ram, hard-drive, and optical drive upgrades
-I'm interested in a mid-grade system that is probably overkill for my needs. I've debated buying a "value PC" from Dell or a "performance PC" from Velocity Micro. After reading the DIY articles and forums, I'm tempted to build a performance PC with a lower price.

Components:
Case: Antec Solo $85
PSU: AeroCool ZERODBA ZERODBA-S500 $100
MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R $130
CPU: E6550 $183
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail $65
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce 8600GTS 256MB (fanless) $183
CPU cooling: Intel standard $0
HD: Samsung Spinpoint T HD403LJ 400 GB $85
CD/DVD:Sony NEC Optiarc Black AD-7170S-0B 18X SATA $35
Any thermal paste
Total: $866

Why these components?
-I’m interested in a fanless GPU in order to reduce noise. The 8600GTS seems to be an adequate mid-range card for my needs. However, you may have better suggestions and I believe that the latest GPU review suggests an ATI card rather than the NVIDIA (for midrange users).
-I picked the Antec P182 case due to reviews on Tom’s and SilentPC. It seems relatively expensive, but I’ve seem nothing but positive comments.
-I’m indifferent on the RAM choice, but this is on the Gigabyte approved list.
-I believe that the standard Intel cooler may be adequate for this system. However, the upgrades are only $30 so that is not a problem if it is the way to go.

I’ve selected these components based on other “first build” threads and the system build articles on Tom’s Hardware and some of the Silent PC reviews. So, please fire aware with any comments or suggestions.

First build questions:
I read the How to assemble article, but I still have a few questions:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how-to-build-a-pc-part-3/inde x.html
-Will all the necessary cables be included with the components?
-Are there any other supplies or accessories that I should need?
-Are there any common first-build mistakes that you could help me to avoid?
-I do not have any experience with BIOS settings. I believe that once the build is complete, I should be able to simply install XP from the DVD drive.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It seems like everyone wants a p182 these days....even though the P180B rev1.1 is the exact same thing, except black.

since you've already bought it....

Switch the 8600GTS with an 8800GTS 320 for much better all around performance, keep it only if you watch HD movies heavily.

youngatl

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
I have not purchased anything yet. I would like to hear the forum's feedback before making any final decisions.

I was interested in the P180 or P182, but I just realized that it is too tall. So, I have switched the P182 to be the Antec Solo in the component list.

I will look into the 8800GTS. It is about $100 more on newegg.

Thanks.

lfranklin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
You never told us what you plan to do with your PC. It would help us help you more if you did.

Only thing I frown on is your choice for graphics. You could do alot better with that kind of money, even though it won't be fanless. If you are not overclocking, then ATI would be your choice. If you are overclocking, then get an nVidia.

As far as your other questions...

-Will all the necessary cables be included with the components?
Most, if not all, OEMs will not have cables and/or accessories. For example, an OEM CPU may not come with the stock cooler. OEM harddrives won't come with cables and/or screws. Anything new should have everything and most likely some extras.

-Are there any other supplies or accessories that I should need?
If you don't have one already, get a #2 screw driver and extra screws. A more than average power supply or battery backup would be wise. The nice to have's are Artic Silver 5, power supply tester and extra cables.

-Are there any common first-build mistakes that you could help me to avoid?
Yes, make sure you plug everything in properly and all power plugs on the MB are plugged in correctly and well seated!

-I do not have any experience with BIOS settings. I believe that once the build is complete, I should be able to simply install XP from the DVD drive.
If your not overclocking, don't worry about BIOS settings. If you plug everything in correctly, it should work right out of the box.

mrbuzz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hi guys

Is it true that the Antec P180b Rev 1.1 and P182 are the same thing? I'm in Adelaide South Australia and every PC store here only seems to carry the Antec P180b in stock and no sign of the P182 yet. If this is true and can be confirmed then I will grab the P180b Rev 1.1 as I like black better.

youngatl

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
I'm planning to use the PC for family video editing, perhaps as an HTPC with a TV tuner (to be added later), photos, office, web, etc. I have a 2 year old, so gaming is a low priority/possibility, but I may do some light gaming.

I'm not planning to overclock, and an ATI 1900 or 1950 would probably be sufficient, but I'm not sure. Any specific recommendations, such at the 1900XT with 256?

Also, thanks for the other feedback.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yes - the rev 1.1 of P180B and the P182 are exactly the same, except color (I also happen to like black more than a morose gray) I got my P180B for less than $50, comparing to the P182 which usually stays at 140-160$