First Build, confused about RAM compatibility

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
So I've picked out most of my parts but I have a few questions about compatibility of RAM, motherboard and cpu.

The motherboard specs say it supports:
Memory Type
DDR4-2133
DDR4-2400
DDR4-2666
and Memory Speeds Supported:
DDR4 3466 O.C., 3200 O.C., 3000 O.C., 2933 O.C., 2800 O.C., 2666, 2400, 2133

But the CPU says:
Memory Type
DDR4-2933

I know the CPU and motherboard are compatible because they are being sold as a package.

The memory I want to get is the Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
I'm a little confused between all of these numbers that don't appear to add up. Especially the CPU saying 2933 which I don't see anywhere else. This is my first custom build so I'd be grateful if someone could take the time to tell me what these numbers mean and if this memory would actually work with the other components.

Here is my full list of parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($167.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB NITRO+ Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair - 780T ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Software: Microsoft - Office Home and Student 2013 Software ($89.00 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $1404.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-19 17:47 EDT-0400

Solution
The sweet spot for RAM on the Ryzen processors appears to be around 3000 MHz. As long as you stick to about that frequency, you should be fine.

Note that if the DDR4 is sold as 3000 MHz and it doesn't perform to that spec, you are within your rights to return it or exchange it. If the retailer refuses for some reason, then you still have the RAM manufacturer warranty to fall back on. So I wouldn't worry to much about it too much.

Use the supported list from the motherboard. Often there is a QVL list of memory as well. That list is is useful as well, but do note the paid advertising element of that list.

I would suggest 3000 or 3200 MHz DDR4. I wouldn't pay much extra for the 3000+ MHz RAM. It isn't worth the extra cost. Plus there is a good possibility that it will not reach the proposed frequency (especially if you are populating more than two dimm slots).

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Yeah I've looked at the QVL list but there are very few 32GB (2x16) configurations on it. The ones I want aren't on there but there are some that are almost the exact same. I've read that the 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs have made compatibility better but short of buying them to test I figured I'd ask if anyone knew. I'm still wondering why numbers don't match up though. Why does the CPU have a different number than the mobo? Also it seems like the higher numbers (on spec sheets) are only by O.C. of RAM but the QVL list has some on there that are up to 3600 that seem to be that speed natively.

The supported memory from the motherboard and CPU manufacturer are hardly ever the same. Typically the processor lists a single memory frequency that was probably used in the development of the processor.

The list memory supported for the motherboard is something different. That list of supported memory represents memory frequencies tested to work on their motherboard. And it is a service from the manufacturer to prospective purchasers of the motherboard. The QVL list on the other hand is a subset of the supported RAM list. It includes specific RAM that RAM manufacturers that have paid to have there trademarked products included on the QVL list of a particular motherboard.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Meaning basically that is should work but they just didn't pay to have it on there and the only way I'll know is if I try it. ? Seeing as so many people get 16GB of RAM on gaming systems I can see why companies wouldn't want to pay to have every stick on the list. Just those that are more common I guess.

The sweet spot for RAM on the Ryzen processors appears to be around 3000 MHz. As long as you stick to about that frequency, you should be fine.

Note that if the DDR4 is sold as 3000 MHz and it doesn't perform to that spec, you are within your rights to return it or exchange it. If the retailer refuses for some reason, then you still have the RAM manufacturer warranty to fall back on. So I wouldn't worry to much about it too much.

Solution