First Build - CPU fan error and random rebooting

electricSD

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
So, this is my first build. I finished it all and I thought I did a good enough job assembling the computer. However, when I first booted it I got the message...

"CPU Fan Error"
Press F1 to continue

I then pressed F1 and my UEFI BIOS came up. I noticed the cpu fan was spinning in the case and the BIOS was registering it between 600-725rpm. Then I noticed one of the front case fans was not spinning, however the light on it was lit and all the other fans were spinning. I figured this was something I could figure out shortly after installing windows and continued with the software. It was not long after I finished installing Windows 7 Home Premium OEM that the thing powered off and rebooted. It went right into the boot up and then stopped at the Safe Mode screen.

I tried multiple times to connect to the internet to make sure all the drivers on the MB were up to date but could not. So I used the driver disc that came with the MB. After I finished that, I noticed it was still both randomly rebooting as well as giving me the CPU Fan Error message.

So my question is, where do I start? I am completely clueless right now. I do have the CPU fan plugged into the correct header, this I checked. The BIOS says everything is alright. I tried to check the Performance event log, however the computer shutdown while i was doing that, so i came here.

Here is my rig...
i7-2600k
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
P8z77-v
Crucial M4 128GB
HIS Radeon HD 7850
PC power and cooling Silencer MK II 950w
Corsair Carbide Series 500R
LG 24x burner
Crucial Ballistix 8gb 1600dd3 RAM

I should be checking this a lot tonight. I really want this rig running by tomorrow night for the Diablo 3 release.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate all the help.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I run the same motherboard with an i7-3770 and an EVO, and had the same problem.

Go into bios, and under 'monitor' change the CPU fan speed low limit to 400. I haven't investigated the problem further and my system runs cool and stable. But my initial hunch was that it was taking the CPU fan a little too long to spin up before hitting bios - upon which point bios rejected it due to low rpm.

Something to try, anyway :)

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, I think they're linked. That said, I didn't get any rebooting... but I never went that far. When I powered up my build and got the initial CPU fan error, I went into bios and changed the min speed to 600, maybe also set mode to "quiet" or the like. Once I exited, I never encountered the problem again - and my fan runs fine, system runs cool.

electricSD

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I lowered the fan speed limit to 400rpm and that got rid of the CPU fan error.

Now I was able to get this online and I am typing on it now. I can not get it to stop rebooting though. And of course that is the most worrrisome aspect.

I have no idea why it would shut down. It does not seem to be recognizing my Video Card, as when i tried to install the drivers it told me so.

Any ideas on the random reboot???

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Yeah, a separate issue then... there are a number of possibilities and the troubleshooting guide is probably a good place to get started:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Some of the recommendations don't apply as your system boots, but just restarts.

I would probably start by

- checking to ensure everything is seated properly
- checking CPU temps
- swapping/removing RAM as suggested in guide above
- removing GPU and connecting monitor directly to motherboard, to rule out potential GPU problem
- checking everything else in guide above and breadboarding the pc

electricSD

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Ok, I have done all of this. And the damn thing still reboots randomly.

I went through all the connections four times.

On a side note, the system will not recognize the video card either.

Someone please help me!!

TRENDING THREADS