[SOLVED] First Build - CPU Spec Recommendation Please.

psychedelic_Ed

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016
Hi All, happy new year!

I have been meaning to build a new system for a long time and am looking to finally do it now. I haven't been able to keep up with all the latest CPUs and specs, so all the numbers are a bit confusing. Looking for some advice please.

One major factor in my decision is that I am currently in the states and am looking to buy what I can to take it back with me to the UK. Prices there are outrageous! At the minimum, I want to take back with me a new processor, ram and my old, but still good (?) graphics card . A Geforce 1060 6GB Asus ROG Strix. Possibly mobo, but I think maybe I should buy that in the UK if somethign doesn't work on it I can return it easily.

From my quick research, it looks like Ryzen 5000 is the latest, but its all sold out? Crazy! Question is, do you think it would still be a sound decision to buy the "old" 3000 series at this point?

What I do:
Gaming of course
3D renderings with Rhino and Vray
CAD
Revit
photoshop, indesign, illustrator
astrophotography (multi cores help a lot here).

I was originally leaning towards a 9 series, but if I'm buying a 3000 series, maybe I should just go down to a 5 until I upgrade? That being said, the last system I had was 10 years old and I upgraded the CPU once about 8 years later. Ha. It was an i7-980x (old school). Maybe it is wise to just get the best I can now?

Is Ryzen 3000 vs 5000 vastly better? Should I wait til 5000 becomes available and just pony up the UK price? Hmm

Which mobo would you recommend? I would like to dabble with overclocking in the future. It sounds like newer AMD's are still compatible with older mobos?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I leave in about 2 weeks back to the UK so I'll make a decision soon enough.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance!

Solution
R5 3600 is a killer.
Yes 5600X is better,but that doesnt mean that the 3600 is garbage,i highly suggest going with that.Motherboard and ram depends on your budget,so whats the budget?

psychedelic_Ed

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016
R5 3600 is a killer.
Yes 5600X is better,but that doesnt mean that the 3600 is garbage,i highly suggest going with that.Motherboard and ram depends on your budget,so whats the budget?

Hi Djoza,

Agreed on the 3600. Shouldn't be garbage already so soon, heh.
I haven't set a concrete budget, and am willing to spend a little more for the best here and there. I'm thinking between $600-700 for the:

CPU + air cooler if needed
Motherboard
Ram (16GB min, 32GB ideal)
1 TB NVME - I see samsung has one for $159 on sale . https://www.microcenter.com/product...80-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

I'll buy the case and power when I get back in the UK.

I just looked up the R5 3600, only $200!? Seems like a steal for 6 cores.

Now to find out what all these Xs, and XTs and no X's mean. haha.