Question First build. Display bottleneck?

Apr 16, 2019
Just finished my first PC.

CPU: Intel i9-9900K
GPU: MSI Gaming x Trio RTX 2080ti
MB: Gigabyte Aorus Master
RAM: 32Gb G.Skillz Ripjaws V 3200mhz
HD: 1Tb Samsung 970 Pro
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
CPU Cooling: NZXT x72 Kraken
Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900r2

Display: 55” LG 4K UHD OLED 120hz
Gaming: 4K, highest settings, not that knowledgeable with V-sync/G-sync/Free-Sync, Anti-Aliasing, and all that jazz, so usually just leave that alone.

Yes, yes, I know I shouldn’t be gaming on a TV. But its what I already had, and I cant afford a 27” 1440p 144hz (or maybe a 4K idk yet) monitor yet.
It seems to be running fantastically. Everything looks gorgeous, I bought Battlefield V to test it out and WOW its wild.
I am having a few issues though.

I’m capping out at 60fps with an average of 58 over hours of play. I’m not doing anything competitive currently, so its whatever for now. I have two theories on this.
One: I’m using an HDMI I had lying around the house, I’m pretty sure it might be close to a decade old, but definitely 5 years. It’s just a cheap ass one that came from some boxed device, maybe a DVD player or console idk. Could this be my bottleneck?
Two: I’ve done some research and it seems like 120hz TVs might be a fake 120hz where they do the processing after the signal reaches the TV and therefore it doesn’t matter what I’m trying to push through the cable its gonna cap at 60fps.
Three: I’ve watched videos (LinusTechTips “4K is dumb” or something like that, where he said that to run high FPS, 4K, ultra settings you would need a threadripper, and two SLI’d RTX 2080tis. But I’m only running like 50% load when I’m gaming so this doesn’t seem like its it (I did get 98% on AC:Unity but idk if that’s because its not as optimized as newer games), for Apex, and Battlefield V I’m maybe peaking for a second at like 70% load so I don’t think that’s it.

Finally, The intro mission to Battlefield V ran like a charm. It was beautiful, smooth, top graphics yada, yada for both the cutscenes and the little parts where you are playing, but the cut scenes at the end of the intro campaign where choppy as all hell. I tried another campaign and all the cut scenes were extremely choppy. The playing is fine, but those beautiful scenes I want to immerse in are almost unwatchable with their stuttering. Is is the same issue as above? The 60fps max doesn’t cause any noticeable issues in Apex or any other games, including in BFV playing.

How can I increase overall FPS, and eliminate the choppiness in BFV cutscenes?

Thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
  1. If you're truly seeing >30FPS at 4K, then the cable is fine. Cables are not generally a problem (within reason) but, if it were, you'd likely be capped to 4K/30Hz.
  2. A lot of TVs do "fake" the refresh rate, so it's probably capped at a "true" 60Hz.
  3. 4K Ultra settings does take a lot of processing power - but it depends on the titles etc, too many variables.

I would assume, for a 4K "120Hz" TV, that HDMI 2.0 is present, otherwise the typical implementation of HDMI 1.4 was 30Hz (>30Hz was theoretically possible, but rarely implemented).

During the BFV cutscenes, are you monitoring CPU/GPU utilization?

Apr 16, 2019
Okay, so it is just the TV not being able to run above 60fps. I had a feeling... That’s disappointing, because I’m stuck with it until either 4K monitors leave the $1000-2000 range, or a briefcase of money falls out of the sky into my hands haha.

I leave the CAM software overlay on yea. I didn’t write it down at the time, but I remember it being within margin of error to utilization at any other point. Maybe 58-65% for GPU and 50-60% GPU. Though I can run a test when I’m home in an our and spit out the exact data.
I didn’t think it was lack of computing power at the time, almost as if the frame rate was fluctuating too quick for something (I assume the TV) to keep pace. Maybe the cut scenes were jumping from one FPS to another? At this point I’m just kinda spitting out my ass based on a few tid bits I’ve heard here and there.

Apr 16, 2019
  1. If you're truly seeing >30FPS at 4K, then the cable is fine. Cables are not generally a problem (within reason) but, if it were, you'd likely be capped to 4K/30Hz.
  2. A lot of TVs do "fake" the refresh rate, so it's probably capped at a "true" 60Hz.
  3. 4K Ultra settings does take a lot of processing power - but it depends on the titles etc, too many variables.
I would assume, for a 4K "120Hz" TV, that HDMI 2.0 is present, otherwise the typical implementation of HDMI 1.4 was 30Hz (>30Hz was theoretically possible, but rarely implemented).

During the BFV cutscenes, are you monitoring CPU/GPU utilization?

I’ll check CPU/GPU utilization, and FPS on those cut scenes now. Any other data that might be helpful?

Apr 16, 2019
So, actually when the stuttering happens the CPU and GPU utilization plummet. I played for about 2hrs, averaging 38% on both CPU and GPU, and running at 52c and 58c average for the CPU and GPU respectively. However, as soon as the cut scene started both dropped into the mid teens for utilization. CPU went as low as 10% and as high as 18% utilization. While the GPU low was 12% and high was 17%.