[SOLVED] First build - Does this list make sense?

Solution
The needs:
To start, 9th gen is hard to cool. You need a better cooler for the 9700k (which doesnt have HT BTW)
You will need a video card to run games.

Suggestions
No need to spend so much on your case, psu, and optical drive. This list still has a 650w 80+ gold psu, blue-ray drive, and good case. It even adds a better cooler and capable video card but costs lest.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $349.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler | $74.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $229.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Kingston FURY 16 GB (2 x...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Honestly, the poll is irrelevant. There's nowhere close to enough information available to answer one way or another.
  • It doesn't have a power supply? Not going to be doing anything with it without a PSU.
  • Are you buying new, or used? A 6700K, unless a really good deal, is a bit older, and not worth $300 new.
  • What's the intended use case? If gaming, you'll need a GPU. For general day to day use/browsing etc, an i7 is overkill.
  • What kind of budget are you working with? IMO, for a $1,300 build with no GPU, $250 on a motherboard makes zero sense.

StanLee11

Prominent
Jul 25, 2019
Sorry. just updated the power supply. im buying new for all the parts except the motherboard, though i can buy used for other parts. i want to have a 1600 dollar budget.

That cpu and compatable motherboards aren't made anymore. Sourcing them new will be more expensive than buying a better performing current-gen platform.

What is your intended use for this system?
If gaming is on your mind, yes, you need a gpu.
Whats your budget?

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Hey, I checked your list and made some notes.

+Don't buy that old-gen CPU, I'm struggling to understand why it's still $300+.....
(EDIT: You seem to have switched it to an i7-9700k, which is a very good CPU itself, but you can get a lot more value for the same price with an 3700X.)
+Are you sure you need a full tower....? There's some stellar Mid-towers out there for under $100.
+You absolutely want to have an independent GPU. (Not knowing what u need the PC for)
+The G3 PSU is based on Super Flower Leadex ll-platform and for a lesser price I'd recommend Super Flower's own Leadex lll PSU, which is much more recent and cheaper(Not sure if available outside EU). Nonetheless the G3-PSU:s are great choices as well.
Long story short I can link you a build I made that was/is around $1250 in USD.

Mainly for 1080p and occasional 1440p gaming.

CPU: Ryzen 3600
GPU: Sapphire RX 5700
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C
MOBO: MSI Pro Carbon AC
SSD: Kingston A400 480GB
PSU: Super Flower Leadex lll 650W
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator CL16 3200mhz

Obviously with a higher budget it'd be rational to switch the 5700 to an 5700 XT(slightly better benchmark than the 2070 super) + maybe consider a X570-motherboard for your rig keeping the future in mind. The current GPU's can barely benefit from the PCiE 4.0 slots when compared to the 3.0 slots, but that could change in the near future as well :p
But with a $1250ish budget, that's pretty much a maxed out build for the purpose mentioned with our prices in here. Hope this gives you some insight.

Last edited:
For a much lower price you can get a Ryzen 5 3600 and compatible motherboard, which would perform better.
You could also save money by using the Ryzen stock cooler if you do this

I would also recommend getting a larger storage device, because 250 GB is not going to last very long.
A 500 GB (or 1TB if you want) SATA 2.5 inch SSD (a Samsung 860 Evo for example) would probably be about the same in terms of performance and have a lower price. Also, using an additional HDD for files you don't need to load quickly would save space.

If you do have a budget, I really wouldn't recommend spending $130 on a DVD drive.

The DDR4 2133 RAM you have is really overpriced. I would replace that with Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, which performs better and has a much lower price.

The case you have is large and expensive, I would say a Mid Tower ATX case would serve the purpose well and save 60-100 dollars. For example the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG would cost 90-100 dollars and still have a 5.25 inch bay and space for what you need.

I don't know much about AMD cards but if you do get an Nvidia card get an ASUS, Gigabyte, or EVGA card
A GTX 1060 6 GB would be adequate for most 1080p60 gaming, and if you want 1440p, you can spend more money and get an RTX 2070.

Finally, the power supply:
I really don't recommend cheaping out on a power supply because if it blows, it likes to take a couple other components with it. I would choose a Corsair or EVGA 550W or more 80+ Gold (or more) rated power supply.

As for your planned budget of $1600, that could be put to use far more efficiently.
Here's a ~$1600 list with a Ryzen 7 3700X and RTX 2070 for example https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vYJWV6
Edit: I may be mistaken, but if you already have a windows device, you can download windows 10 ISO files for free to install windows on a fresh device (it just wont be activated, which would have some cosmetic limitations)

Last edited:

StanLee11

Prominent
Jul 25, 2019
If you guys could help me with the optical drive, that would be great. I need an optical drive for stuff, and i want to be able to play blu-ray dvds and hopefully write them.