Question First Build Ever! Need help with parts

Feb 10, 2019
Hello!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help - so here's the deal:

I'd like to build my first rig with the ability to do these operations with a budget of under $900
-Video editing
-Gaming (relatively non-intensive games: League of Legends, Fortnight, Stellaris, Minecraft, The Forest)
-Streaming while gaming
-Music editing software
-VR Gaming capabilities

Now, keep in mind I'm a complete beginner when it comes to PC hardware, but with some help from people in the tomshardware forum, here's my list so far:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jasonvolkoff/saved/36vBbv

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | $149.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $69.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $94.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage | Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $57.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card | Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card | $179.99 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 TG ATX Mid Tower Case | $43.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | SeaSonic - S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $54.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $761.72
| Mail-in rebates | -$50.00
| Total | $711.72
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-16 16:23 EST-0500 |

Here are just some of my concerns:
  1. Is there any room for improvement in this build (i.e. are any of these parts straight up garbage compared to a similarly priced part), or, similarly, can this build be trimmed to be cheaper and similarly efficient (i.e. have I chosen parts that have cheaper alternatives)?
  2. Do I need a CPU cooler or fans or any other components to make this work (Cables, thermal paste, etc)
  3. I'd like to hook up 2 monitors to this build, is this capable of supporting that? If not, what part specifications should I be looking for?
  4. Lastly, and most importantly, can this build even perform the above stated operations? How well/poorly? (not sure If I'm over or undershooting this with my budget constraints, but I'm down to bump this for

ANY input at all would be greatly appreciated, even if you can't answer every one of my concerns, thank you!

This Antec 550w Gold rated PSU is only $51 after MIR and promo code, and has a 7 yr warranty.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371103

I can't fault the spec chosen too much though. My main thought if you are concerned a lot about value is possibly waiting if you can to see what Ryzen 3000 brings, which is said to launch Q3 this year. The 3600G APU might be an interesting budget streaming build chip, since it will have included Navi 20 CU graphics. Keep in mind an RX 580 has 36 CU though (Compute Units), so this would only be a cheaper entry into streaming, where you could add a more powerful GPU later. Price is speculated to be $199, being roughly $130 cheaper vs $150 for the 2600 and $180 for the RX 580, although with only about 56% the Compute Units. It is also said R 3000 will have improvements to the Infinity Fabric, which is a main area current Ryzens lack in refinement regarding latency.

At the very least it may be worth your while to wait for the R5 3600 CPU, speculated to be $178 MSRP. Who knows what best street prices will be though.

On the GPU front, Radeon VII seems overpriced since it can perform no better than a 2080 and is priced as high, but with no Ray Tracing or DLSS support. Whom knows when their new lower tier Radeons will launch, or what price and performance they'll have.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaseygoogoo