[SOLVED] First Build, feedback please!

Jul 13, 2020
Hi guys!

I'll be using this build for animation in Maya, but also a bit of rendering, VR, and gaming. Are there any corrections I should make?

Appreciate it!!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor | $689.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Asus ROG RYUJIN 360 121.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $281.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | MSI MEG X570 ACE ATX AM4 Motherboard | $369.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | \*G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $359.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $339.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card | $759.99 @ Best Buy
Case | Fractal Design Define S2 ATX Mid Tower Case | $163.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $166.98 @ Newegg
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit | $119.04 @ HP
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $3251.94
| \*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria |
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-13 19:25 EDT-0400 |

Solution
Be careful with Ryzen and ram speeds and stick count. Ryzens do not like 4 sticks, it messes with the infinity fabric Ryzen uses to communicate between cores. As a result, I've not heard of anyone getting beyond 3200MHz when running 4 sticks.

I'd advise you change the ram to 2x32Gb instead if you want to run 3600MHz.

The verdict isn't really in yet about that Andyson platform Evga GA, Andyson has had a Few really good units, but most are decent or below.

I'd be a lot more trusting of
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
I'm moving up from an i5 so it's a pretty good jump...
Jul 13, 2020
the build is good,but could you wait 3-4 months.
Reason to that is bassically RTX 30xx series which will be much much much better than rtx 20xx series (acording to youtube) and ryzen 4th gen cpus which will also be beasts

Thank you for checking that the build is compatible!! It's my first build so I wanted to get advice from people that know computers haha

I was considering waiting, but maya keeps crashing on my current setup. Also, the viewport can't keep up, so I have to playblast everything, which is a bit time consuming and difficult to work with. I'm moving up from an i5 so it's a pretty good jump hopefully haha

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Be careful with Ryzen and ram speeds and stick count. Ryzens do not like 4 sticks, it messes with the infinity fabric Ryzen uses to communicate between cores. As a result, I've not heard of anyone getting beyond 3200MHz when running 4 sticks.

The verdict isn't really in yet about that Andyson platform Evga GA, Andyson has had a Few really good units, but most are decent or below.

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
I'm moving up from an i5 so it's a pretty good jump hopefully haha
Think 10-speed bicycle compared to 1000cc racing motorcycle, and you'd be close.

Solution
Jul 13, 2020

Think 10-speed bicycle compared to 1000cc racing motorcycle, and you'd be close.
Wow did not know that thank you! So just two sticks RAM then right, 32? 64?

I had no idea four RAM could lower it so thank you for mentioning that! I'll switch out the power supply as well. Happy to hear the bike comparison, because my current setup is like walking in mud right now. It'll be very exciting when I have all the PC parts for sure!

Do you think the mobo and gpu are good buys? I was looking for the crosshair VIII, ASUS 2080 11gb Super/Ti, and the MSI gaming X 2080 but they're hard to come by right now unless through a third party. But if the current mobo and gpu look good for this build I'll keep them. I can still return them that's why I'm asking haha!

I appreciate all the feedback! Seriously, thanks!!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just 2 sticks if you want high speeds for Ryzen. You could use 4 sticks, but the chances of getting over 3200MHz are exponentially slim. So if you are looking for 64Gb total, then use 2x32Gb sticks.

The RTX2080S will be on the recommended list, I know the 2080 and 2080ti are, so gpu should be fine, but a 2080S is a step down from a 2080ti, especially for 4k stuff, so I'd keep hunting until you absolutely have to pull the trigger if that's the card you really want.

Unless you plan on really getting into high speed OC and pushing the cpu to its limits, any of the upper enthusiast class motherboards are decent. Whether msi or asus, you choice will depend on your exact needs and wants, does it have the right number of headers, right audio etc.

Reactions: animat-or
Jul 13, 2020
Just 2 sticks if you want high speeds for Ryzen. You could use 4 sticks, but the chances of getting over 3200MHz are exponentially slim. So if you are looking for 64Gb total, then use 2x32Gb sticks.

The RTX2080S will be on the recommended list, I know the 2080 and 2080ti are, so gpu should be fine, but a 2080S is a step down from a 2080ti, especially for 4k stuff, so I'd keep hunting until you absolutely have to pull the trigger if that's the card you really want.

Unless you plan on really getting into high speed OC and pushing the cpu to its limits, any of the upper enthusiast class motherboards are decent. Whether msi or asus, you choice will depend on your exact needs and wants, does it have the right number of headers, right audio etc.

Thanks so much for all the feedback!!!! Helped me out a lot haha