First build/First desktop/first post.....

glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I recently completed my first build, or so I thought. I built the desktop primarily for graphics/photo-shop/design. My laptop, an old Toshiba work-horse that somehow managed to survive three years in an 18 wheeler before I retired, (medical). With time to fill, I took-up my old love of photography to keep me occupied, but soon realized that I just did not have the ram nor the processing speed to handle the good graphics software respectably. As I am on a fixed income and by no means affluent, I soon realized that if I were to purchase a computer retail, I would need to start at 1500 bucks and move-up from there. (see previous comment lol !) I walked blindly into my first build confident I would spend a few hours on the web and be able to put what I needed together. What I did not count on was getting sucked-into the cyber-world of gaming! I'm addicted. I purchased a fair video card I think, for graphics and photo-shop, but I am not so sure about the gaming, so I am seeking input from all you "younger" wiser gaming geeks! (Grandpa was born analog...), MID-TOWER CASE,(NOTHING FANCY),/HECX ORION 585W POWER SUPPLY/ASUS M4A78LT-M 760 SOCKET AM3 M/B /AMD PHENOM II X 4 955 3.2 GHz PROCESSOR/ AMD STANDARD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN/ 6GB DDR3 1333MHZ PC-10600/ 1000 GB SATA 2 32MB CACHE/ 22XDVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE/ REALTEK 8 CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD, (yea, I know I know...)/ logitech g-11 keyboard/ logitech performance mx wireless mouse, and lastly, because I did not at the time think it mattered, a set of 2.1 Altec Lansing VS 4221 SPEAKERS. I have an Western digital external drive for a TB of off-board storage. (surprising how fast you can fill-up one TB with the new games they have out now!) And so keep my love of films and music off my on-board HD. Hear is the question you probably thought I would never get around to asking, If you had 200 bucks, where would you put it? and why? Can anyone help me out here? Is my M/B the weakest link? more ram? better cooling? RAID 0 and a Velocerapter HD to improve data transfer? GURU'S DO WHAT YOU DO.....SO WELL,, chuckle... :whistle:

glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

My sincere apologies, I was a bit tired when I posted and screwed up so had to register and sign-in bla bla bla, I had mentioned in the first post that I had to re-write that I had an MTI RADEON 5770 HAWK 1GB IN BUILD, You must have thought I had not done my "basic" homework! I can also invest more than 200 if necessary.... thanks for taking the time, I am sorry my unintended omission wasted your time! It would be great if you could re-evaluate but will understand if you do not wish to invest more time... sincerely glidingmoose

glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
My sincere apologies, I was a bit tired when I posted and screwed up so had to register and sign-in bla bla bla, I had mentioned in the first post that I had to re-write that I had an MTI RADEON 5770 HAWK 1GB IN BUILD, You must have thought I had not done my "basic" homework! I can also invest more than 200 if necessary.... thanks for taking the time, I am sorry my unintended omission wasted your time! It would be great if you could re-evaluate but will understand if you do not wish to invest more time... sincerely glidingmoose

glidingmoose

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Note; It was actually THG'S article that you referred me too that was the clincher responsible for my decision to go with the 5770, further research led me to believe that MTI (hawk) was the best, or one of the better cards offering the 1gb 5770(twin fans)