First Build: FPS Drops and Crashes

Recon23inf

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I recently completed my first build:

-i7 7700k overclocked to 5ghz @1.27 vcore (aida64 extreme stress test for 24 hours)
-EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 +40 clock +400 memory
-MSI Z270 Gaming M7
-Corsair h115i
-2 x 16GB Corsair 3000hz DDR4 Ram
-Samsung 850 500GB SSD
-WD Black 2TB HDD
-Windows 10 Pro (most recent update)

I downloaded Shadow of Mordor and Shadow Warrior 2. First thing I noticed is 100fps and 130 fps looked as choppy as 30 fps on a console does. Very odd. About 20-30 mins into playing either game I would either get a complete crash and system forces restart or the fps would suddenly drop from 100 to 30 and stay there until I would restart (GPU usage would suddenly shoot to 99% from 70-98% when the massive frame rate drop would occur). I checked GPU and CPU temps: no issues. CPU usage was 30-50%: no issue.

I called EVGA and they suggested to run Heaven and Firestrike and share the scores with them. I did and they said all the numbers were good. They suggested to remove Razer Synapse software, which i did. I RMAed the mobo, as well, to no avail. I am at a loss with what the issue could be. The only other thing I did was switch the option in the BIOS from "UEFI and Legacy" to "UEFI". Not sure why that would cause any issues. I appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What temps were you seeing on the CPU and GPU under load? OTher than just "ok"?

Did you move an HDD/SSD over from a prior build without reinstalling an OS, by chance?

IS you OS legit/activated?

Have you fully removed your GPU drivers and reinstalled?
You can use DDU in safe mode to make it easy and ensure all traces are caught: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Recon23inf

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

-I removed my GPU drivers with DDU in safe mode and reinstalled the nvidia drivers with the clean install option.

Recon23inf

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

Bios and motherboard drivers are current

I'm out of town, but I need to take the OC off the CPU and see what happens. I took the OC off the GPU and had the same issues.