[SOLVED] First build. Fried GPU after a month?

Sep 13, 2020
Hi. I did my first PC build and after a month of using it (several hours a day of gaming) it shuts off suddenly and will not boot up. PC will just power on for less than a second and turn off again. Past weeks it started to sudden shut off after heavy usage and after some summer blackouts. I think it may be a faulty GPU since it does stays on when I unplug the PCI power cable. Or could it be a faulty PSU?

Intel i3-9100F
GPU: Saphire Pulse RX 570 8GB
PSU: Acteck z600
Motherboard: Gigabyte H310M S2

Last edited:
Solution
Hi. I did my first PC build and after a month of using it (several hours a day of gaming) it shuts off suddenly and will not boot up. PC will just power on for less than a second and turn off again. Past weeks it started to sudden shut off after heavy usage and after some summer blackouts. I think it may be a faulty GPU since it does stays on when I unplug the PCI power cable. Or could it be a faulty PSU?

Intel i3-9100F

Unfortunately, you also committed the classic sin of a new PC builder: putting together a nice little budget rig and then powering it with garbage. In modern terms, this is only a 360W PSU; it's an ancient, group-regulated design...

DSzymborski

Titan

Intel i3-9100F

Unfortunately, you also committed the classic sin of a new PC builder: putting together a nice little budget rig and then powering it with garbage. In modern terms, this is only a 360W PSU; it's an ancient, group-regulated design suitable only for powering a pre-2000 office PC. And I'm sure it gets only worse on the inside.

So now you have a mystery to solve and it's likely going to require additional money to diagnose. It could be the junk PSU. It could be a failed GPU. It could be a failed GPU due to the junk PSU. It could be something else, caused or not caused by the PSU. So the first step will need to be replacing it with a PSU of at least minimum quality and then diagnosing from there. In the end, cheap PSUs are frequently the most expensive part of your PC.

With an RX 570, a fairly power-hungry GPU for its class, I wouldn't go less than Tier B on the PSU list that is now housed here.

Solution
Sep 13, 2020
Unfortunately, you also committed the classic sin of a new PC builder: putting together a nice little budget rig and then powering it with garbage. In modern terms, this is only a 360W PSU; it's an ancient, group-regulated design suitable only for powering a pre-2000 office PC. And I'm sure it gets only worse on the inside.

So now you have a mystery to solve and it's likely going to require additional money to diagnose. It could be the junk PSU. It could be a failed GPU. It could be a failed GPU due to the junk PSU. It could be something else, caused or not caused by the PSU. So the first step will need to be replacing it with a PSU of at least minimum quality and then diagnosing from there. In the end, cheap PSUs are frequently the most expensive part of your PC.

With an RX 570, a fairly power-hungry GPU for its class, I wouldn't go less than Tier B on the PSU list that is now housed here.

Yes, now I just realized why there are just as many types of PSU...
Actually I was following a PC building seller from around here (Mexico) and checking the parts they tend to use, and that PSU in particular was used too much...
Thanks a lot!

Sep 13, 2020
Why do people always think it is safe to skimp on the mobo and PSU?

Get a better PSU, you should also be aware that your PC shutting down is the mildest symptom, a fried graphics card or CPU or Mobo are among those things a bad PSU can cause.