[SOLVED] first build in 15 years.

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8jdCfP

the meshify c came with 2 stock 120mm 4 pin fans. according to msi center and gpu-z my cpu temp ranges 40-60 c and my gpu 30-50 c. i was considering adding more cooling and more color to the case.

my cooling question is this: would it be better so swap out the front 120mm for 2 140mm's, leave the rear 120 where it is and put the 2nd 120 blowing out the top? or some other configuration? i have 6 sys fan 4 pin headers.

Last edited:
Solution
You need to do absolutely nothing.
Your temperatures are fine.

But, to answer your question, I would sat that the optimum air cooling setup would have 2 140mm front intakes and just the single 120 rear exhaust.
Have no top exhausts.

You could experiment with reusing the two 120's as top exhausts, but that would tend to divert cooling air from the motherboard/cpu/graphics card area and exhausting it out the top without cooling anything.

Lutfij

Titan
6 sys fan 4 pin headers
You mean 6x 4pin PWM fan headers.

You could swap out the fans but that would mean added costs. I'd first advise on running the system for a while and then see after a few months if you'd like to revisit the fans being replaced. In retrospect, looking through your specs, you're fine temps wise.

You need to do absolutely nothing.
Your temperatures are fine.

But, to answer your question, I would sat that the optimum air cooling setup would have 2 140mm front intakes and just the single 120 rear exhaust.
Have no top exhausts.

You could experiment with reusing the two 120's as top exhausts, but that would tend to divert cooling air from the motherboard/cpu/graphics card area and exhausting it out the top without cooling anything.

Solution

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
i've been using the system off and on for nearly 8 months. for some reason my b450 tomahawk max died and its been in rma at msi for over a month so i replaced it with a b550 mpg gaming plus.

during regular operation temps are my cpu temp ranges 40-60 c and my gpu 30-50 c. when gaming i notice they jump about 20 degrees for both. which is why i wanted to swap out the single front 120mm for dual 120/dual 140's.

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
because im anxious about motherboards now. i've had terrible luck in last few years. in less than a year by msi b450 tomahawk max died for no reason, was never wet, dirty, damaged. my last laptop, an alienware 17r4 (2017 model) went through 2 motherboards for some reason in less than 3 years. so now im trying to make absolutely sure that everything will last. i built this computer because if something goes wrong i can swap it out whereas on a laptop im unable without a lot of difficulty.
i mean my b450 board could have just randomly died to a bad component or bad silicone or a bad contact or something but after having 3 bad motherboards in 5 years, it makes you wary.

Anything can fail.
Motherboards are more failure prone than other components.
Here is a report on that:
Many strange failures are because of a cheap psu.
Your psu would seem to be of good quality.
One thing I note on your parts list is that you are using two separate kits of 2 x 8gb of DDR4 ram.
That is a mistake.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

And, ryzen is particularly sensitive to ram. Not all ram will work.
Look for a supported kit on the motherboard ram QVL list.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Reactions: Deepwaterlife48

TRENDING THREADS