First build in 4 years( Ryzen 5 1600x,gtx1080,AsRock 370 Taichi) needs help.

jamesjudo5

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
Hello there guys, I'm building my first pc in about 4-5 years after my old desktop got stolen effectively from my car during a move. So far I've bought a x370 Taichi from Asrock, a Zotac GTX 1080 mini, and a Phanteks Eclipse P400 Case during various sales over black friday. My plan is to get this new desktop finished by 12-31-17 with a Ryzen 1600x with a yet unknown water cooler, and hopefully clock my cpu to around 3.9 to 4.0 GHZ. My issues right now are due to budget and where to cut corners as I want to keep this build to around $1200-1300(1400 max) and I have no idea what ram to use or which water cooler or psu. I have a keyboard mouse and also windows 10 OS so these are no problems but I will be also be needing a monitor either 1080p 144hz or 1440p. Right now my build is sitting at around 740-760 so yeah once i get my cpu we will be talking 950 effectively.DDR4 ram is really killing me as the price is crazy compared to what I remember.Thanks for any help and welcome to the ride guys for anyone who will be following me through this build.

Solution
If you weren't getting a monitor you'd be able to make your budget but with the monitor you'll exceed it. I'd suggest building the PC and saving up for a better monitor. As far as RAM is concerned yes it's expensive right now and it probably won't drop in price for a while. Ryzen is pretty picky when it comes to RAM and it works better with faster speeds. A G.Skill Ryzen certified kit at 3000Mhz is what I'd normally suggest for Ryzen. Corsair kits will run but they won't hit their rated speeds on Ryzen. As for the water cooler if you're overclocking you'll want a 240 to 280mm water cooler in any brand that you prefer. As for the PSU use any tier 1 or tier 2 from this list will be fine...

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
If you weren't getting a monitor you'd be able to make your budget but with the monitor you'll exceed it. I'd suggest building the PC and saving up for a better monitor. As far as RAM is concerned yes it's expensive right now and it probably won't drop in price for a while. Ryzen is pretty picky when it comes to RAM and it works better with faster speeds. A G.Skill Ryzen certified kit at 3000Mhz is what I'd normally suggest for Ryzen. Corsair kits will run but they won't hit their rated speeds on Ryzen. As for the water cooler if you're overclocking you'll want a 240 to 280mm water cooler in any brand that you prefer. As for the PSU use any tier 1 or tier 2 from this list will be fine http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html Don't go cheap on this. This is the heart of your system and protects all of your components. The one place you can save some money is on the 1600x. Since you're overclocking anyway I'd just get the 1600 and overclock it to where you'd like. Most Ryzen chips will hit 3.9Ghz 4.0 is hit or miss but the 1600 should OC just as well as the 1600x maybe 100 to 200 MHz less. If you hadn't bought the MOBO and GPU you could have saved money there as well.

Solution

jamesjudo5

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017

thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate the PSU list as that is quite helpful. What is your advice on the cooler I used to have a Phenom X2 originally then upgraded to FX- 8350 but I ran both on air so this is my first time with water cooling. The memory I have no idea what to do would it be acceptable to get 8 gb for now and get another 8 gb stick later or would this destroy performance? The reason I got the gtx 1080 was I wanted to future proof my rig and my thought was to get another gtx 1080 in maybe 1-2 years then run 4k? Also what voltage have you found to be safe with ryzen with water cooling I've heard anywhere from 1.35v to 1.5v and the whole point with the taichi was the vrm and external clock gen because I really want to push myself in terms of this system and use it as a learning tool as well as a gaming system.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
I'm going to assume this is a gaming rig and that you'll be wanting to play more modern games. If that's the case 16GB is recommended. You can get away with 8GB in some games but not other and you'd have to basically shut down any background applications. RAM prices suck and they probably won't drop until the second half of 2018 as they bring more fabs online. I wouldn't bother running 2 graphics cards in SLI. You'd be better off replacing the 1080 with a 1080Ti or hope Nvidia's Volta is out by then for 4k 60Hz gaming. I have a GTX 1080 as well I wasn't knocking it but if you're working with a budget constraint an overclocked 1070 can play at 1440p 60Fps or 1080p 144Hz It's just one way to save a bit of money. There's several water coolers you could go with the Corsair H100i the NZXT Kraken X62 or many others. They all perform about the same it's all about the features you want and what fits with your build. A quick search on Amazon or Newegg should show you plenty of options. Honestly I'd go with what matches the best. As far as voltage is concerned it's all silicon lottery and most Ryzen chips will max out at 4.0Ghz no matter what the voltage. Unfortunately Ryzen isn't a very good overclocking chip currently AMD recommends not exceeding 1.425 volt. I'd basically leave the voltage to auto to start and set the clock 3.8Ghz and see if it boots then step up until it crashes. Stock voltage is around 1.2 volts if it's not stable step up the voltage until it is but I wouldn't exceed the recommended voltage stated above.

jamesjudo5

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017

Pulled the trigger on a ryzen 5 1600x this morning since it was selling for 189. on the memory if I wasn't worried about speed would most ddr4 memory work? I've looked at the taichi QVL and most memory that's on there differs from what I can find on newegg in the module number by a small number for instance 32 instead of 16 ect. here are a few memories I'm looking at .
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory, CMK16GX4M2A2666C16W
and Team T-Force DARK 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory, TDGED416G2400HC14DC01
does anyone know if these would work?