[SOLVED] First build in a decade, could use your expertise!

Jul 30, 2020
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bombardier11/saved/#view=kMPxsY
(I've got a case)

As the title suggests, I'm building my first PC and it's been a minute. I'm fairly competent in putting it together, I'd just like to know if there are any incompatibilities or things I might be missing for something that will be used for (ideally)4K gaming and some amateur rendering and video editing. Also, budget is around $1500 and the things I've gone for are what tends to be available in our third world country during a pandemic. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the video card, because it seems like a great deal that I can't quite believe.

Anyway, appreciate the help.

Solution
There is no necessary connection between graphics card make and motherboard make.
RTX2080 will work on any modern motherboard.

On this build, I have some comments:

1. DO NOT but separate ram sticks.
Ram must be matched in a single kit.
To insure compatibility, to to the motherboard web site and access their ram qvl list for your motherboard/cpu combo.
Ryzen is sensitive to ram selection, you want to get it right.

2. Buy a known brand of ssd. I would buy a single 1tb intel 660P nvme or samsung 970 evo.
If/when you fill up a 1tb C drive, it is easy to add storage later.

3. 550w is sufficient for a RTX2070. Nothing wrong with 650w, the psu will only consume what is demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Antec VP looks...
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Actually, since your building an entire AMD rig, the graphics card being GeForce is...

• Gonna cost more for a lesser card
  • Priced reasonably if not a bit high in my opinion regardless for a Mini.
  • Dumb (sorry lol), no point mixing Intel and AMD and buying the most expensive part as an Intel based part (forget if you want a G-Sync or Freesync monitor, the cost for G-Sync is unreal)

Look for Radeon or other graphic cards that are AMD based (I cant edit you part list to help as of right now) and it will likely be cheaper AND better... AMD is meant for gaming, so I doubt the GTX would do much better anyways.

I have no experience with AMD builds yet, so maybe someone who does will correct me...but that is my opinion.

Reactions: bombardier11
There is no necessary connection between graphics card make and motherboard make.
RTX2080 will work on any modern motherboard.

On this build, I have some comments:

1. DO NOT but separate ram sticks.
Ram must be matched in a single kit.
To insure compatibility, to to the motherboard web site and access their ram qvl list for your motherboard/cpu combo.
Ryzen is sensitive to ram selection, you want to get it right.

2. Buy a known brand of ssd. I would buy a single 1tb intel 660P nvme or samsung 970 evo.
If/when you fill up a 1tb C drive, it is easy to add storage later.

3. 550w is sufficient for a RTX2070. Nothing wrong with 650w, the psu will only consume what is demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Antec VP looks to be tier 6 on this list.
I would look for a much better quality psu.
Psu issues are hard to diagnose.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bombardier11/saved/#view=kMPxsY
(I've got a case)

As the title suggests, I'm building my first PC and it's been a minute. I'm fairly competent in putting it together, I'd just like to know if there are any incompatibilities or things I might be missing for something that will be used for (ideally)4K gaming and some amateur rendering and video editing. Also, budget is around $1500 and the things I've gone for are what tends to be available in our third world country during a pandemic. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the video card, because it seems like a great deal that I can't quite believe.

Anyway, appreciate the help.
Don't buy two single DIMMs. You want to purchase a matched set of two DIMMs, sold as a set. I wouldn't recommend an A320 motherboard, especially with a 2700X. The 2700X is a higher wattage CPU and the 320 motherboards are the least equipped to support it.

Reactions: bombardier11
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I never said it was a mismatch to use a GTX on an AMD setup...I just don't see the sense in it when an AMD card and monitor (if you want Sync) would be much cheaper, I know full well it would work, I just wouldn't do it.

PC Builders such as iPower are doing it, just to say it has a GTX in it...doesn't make it the better option. Maybe the better looking.

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
That's all great advice.

Thanks folks, will rethink a few things and look at more options to make sure this all turns out legit!

EDIT:
Just caught this...beware the Intel 660p SSD. I would also suggest a Samsung, although a bit steeper in price...even an older 850 EVO will rip most games apart with ease if you don't want to kick for the 970 or the new nvme from samsung (which is a monster).
Intel 660p (if I have my models correct) has the effect of blocking another sata port, I was going to purchase one myself and didn't for that reason.
END EDIT:

I like how you took it all in as 'advice' (sorry for my focus on the particular part you were concerned about, and lack of the rest) and went off to do it your own way, wish more people had that state of mind.

Do come back and let us know how it turns out for you. Good luck 😉

Last edited: