[SOLVED] First build in almost 8 years (Budget build)

jburd20

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hi all,

I'm looking to build my second ever desktop, my first was around 8 years ago (I don't have it anymore). I'm currently using an old Asus laptop (Intel Core i5-2430m CPU @ 2.40GHz with 6 GB of RAM) for watching Youtube/Twitch/Netflix and light gaming (League of Legends, Warframe and Grim dawn on lowest settings).

I'm very much out of the loop on the latest and greatest but with Black Friday deals around the corner I figured I'd ask for some help building a low cost budget desktop for everyday use, watching videos/movies and small amounts of gaming on older titles.

Here's what I came up with - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RbTmrV

Memory - How much would the Ryzen benefit using 2x8GB DDR4-3600 ($61) for my needs. Is 16GB overkill for this?

Storage - I'll also add a standard 1Tb drive later on.

Case - This is something I'm not really sure on. I'm not concerned with aesthetics or lighting, I just want to make sure the airflow is okay.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi all,

I'm looking to build my second ever desktop, my first was around 8 years ago (I don't have it anymore). I'm currently using an old Asus laptop (Intel Core i5-2430m CPU @ 2.40GHz with 6 GB of RAM) for watching Youtube/Twitch/Netflix and light gaming (League of Legends, Warframe and Grim dawn on lowest settings).

I'm very much out of the loop on the latest and greatest but with Black Friday deals around the corner I figured I'd ask for some help building a low cost budget desktop for everyday use, watching videos/movies and small amounts of gaming on older titles.

Memory - How much would the Ryzen benefit using 2x8GB DDR4-3600 ($61) for my needs...
Hi all,

Memory - How much would the Ryzen benefit using 2x8GB DDR4-3600 ($61) for my needs. Is 16GB overkill for this?

Storage - I'll also add a standard 1Tb drive later on.

Case - This is something I'm not really sure on. I'm not concerned with aesthetics or lighting, I just want to make sure the airflow is okay.

Thanks in advance.

That looks like a sensible build if you are on a tight budget... in terms of memory, the Ryzen 2000 series APU's cap out at DDR4 3200 memory so the ram you have chosen is ideal, although I would recommend going for a 16gb kit for an APU as the ram doubles as graphics memory.

I would also suggest looking to see if you could stretch your budget up to the Ryzen 5 2400g, as that has a more powerful integrated gpu and it's got smt meaning it's a much better cpu for driving a discreet graphics board if you want to upgrade in the future. That said the 2200g is a good choice if you are really limited on budget.

Reactions: jburd20
Solution

jburd20

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
That looks like a sensible build if you are on a tight budget... in terms of memory, the Ryzen 2000 series APU's cap out at DDR4 3200 memory so the ram you have chosen is ideal, although I would recommend going for a 16gb kit for an APU as the ram doubles as graphics memory.

I would also suggest looking to see if you could stretch your budget up to the Ryzen 5 2400g, as that has a more powerful integrated gpu and it's got smt meaning it's a much better cpu for driving a discreet graphics board if you want to upgrade in the future. That said the 2200g is a good choice if you are really limited on budget.

I could do 16GB and get the Ryzen 5 2400g my budget isn't super tight, I just don't want to get more than I need for what I'm going to use this for. If I end up upgrading to a dedicated GPU later do you think the 2400 is still worth it over the 2200?

Thanks for looking over the build and the suggetions.

I could do 16GB and get the Ryzen 5 2400g my budget isn't super tight, I just don't want to get more than I need for what I'm going to use this for. If I end up upgrading to a dedicated GPU later do you think the 2400 is still worth it over the 2200?

Thanks for looking over the build and the suggetions.

The 2400g is definitely worth it if you are thinking of adding a discrete GPU later, as it's 8 threads vs 4 on the 2200g. That is the main reason to get the R5 as there isn't that much difference between the two in terms of the iGPU performance.