Mar 1, 2019
ORIGINAL POST https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/top...otherboard-has-red-light-and-pc-will-not-boot:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zxdpkd

This is my first build. After I set everything up it would not boot. The CPU cooler fan spins for a few seconds then shuts off then restarts. The fans in the case do not spin. A bunch of red lights switch on the backside of the motherboard shortly after turning it on. There are 4 small LED lights marked CPU, Dram, VGA, Boot; the red light will flicker between CPU and Dram but will settle on CPU. I have taken apart the build so that only the 24 pin and 8 pin are connected to the PSU, but it still has the same issue. I'm pretty sure I installed the CPU correctly so is this issue a malfunctioning motherboard? I'd rather not have to return it but I'm not sure what my alternatives are at this point. I appreciate any and all help, thanks.
Edit: I think a couple pins are bent. I'm going to try straightening them.
Edit 2: I straightened the pins but the problem is the same.

THE SOLUTION I TRIED:

"Remove everything but the CPU and cooler, 1 stick of memory , reset CMOS and try to boot into BIOS." -Zerk2012

THE SITUATION NOW https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/311226-first-build-more-issues:

So, I think I may have reset the CMOS too many times. I was able to get into BIOS with all of my parts connected except for the gpu. Whenever I would try with the gpu it was unable to connect with my monitor. I tried disabling the integrated graphics card through the bios several times and would reset the CMOS everytime I did. Suddenly the motherboard's CPU_Led came on and remained steady. The PC would power on, stop, come on, stop, and repeat at irregular interviews. Now, nothing worked to get into BIOS. I once again tried just the CPU and one stick of memory but nothing worked. I tried following the directions here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...red-on-while-cmos-jumper-set-to-clear.141474/ and still it doesn't work. I'm not sure what happened and how to fix it now...please help....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Usually igpu is disabled when a gpu is present. In your post at pcpartpicker you managed to boot to bios with igpu but that changed with the graphics card.

You haven't had the video cable connected to the motherboard all this time? It's a common mistake as there can be many video ports. Check when the graphics card is in the system, you're using it's video port and not the mobo. Gpu wont route video via the motherboard video ports.

Another thing is check gpu is seated properly and getting power that the pcie supplementary power plugs are properly connected between psu and card.

Mar 1, 2019
Usually igpu is disabled when a gpu is present. In your post at pcpartpicker you managed to boot to bios with igpu but that changed with the graphics card.

You haven't had the video cable connected to the motherboard all this time? It's a common mistake as there can be many video ports. Check when the graphics card is in the system, you're using it's video port and not the mobo. Gpu wont route video via the motherboard video ports.

Another thing is check gpu is seated properly and getting power that the pcie supplementary power plugs are properly connected between psu and card.

Do you mean the 8pin cable from the PSU to the GPU? Because I had that connected and it was mounted in the mobo's port but it still wasn't working.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No not the cpu power 8pin, that connects to the motherboard. They wont fit anyway, different pin shape.

Need pcie 6+2 connected to the card. Your psu has two of these cables. The card doesn't have power cable connected is that what you're saying?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh thought i saw psu to cpu in your post, nevermind.

See here,

Mar 1, 2019
No not the cpu power 8pin, that connects to the motherboard. They wont fit anyway, different pin shape.

Need pcie 6+2 connected to the card. Your psu has two of these cables. The card doesn't have power cable connected is that what you're saying?

Oh, sorry yes it is the 6+2 pcie, I was confused. And yes I saw that guide and I've tried everything there. What's strange is that it seemed like only the gpu was the issue then suddenly everything stopped working. I'm hoping my mobo didn't short or something.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you're sure the card is properly seated and powered and the video cable is connected to it and not the motherboard, it's either the graphics card or the motherboard.

Bent pins isn't a good sign as these are very delicate. Usually can get away by straightening them but any fractures of sorts can cause all sorts of problems.

As suggested at pcpartpicker, using igpu, remove the graphics card and connect video cable to the motherboard. With memory in A2 and B2 (second and forth slot from cpu) and try boot. If it boots it can be doa graphics card. If it doesn't boot is most likely motherboard.

Mar 1, 2019
If you're sure the card is properly seated and powered and the video cable is connected to it and not the motherboard, it's either the graphics card or the motherboard.

Bent pins isn't a good sign as these are very delicate. Usually can get away by straightening them but any fractures of sorts can cause all sorts of problems.

As suggested at pcpartpicker, using igpu, remove the graphics card and connect video cable to the motherboard. With memory in A2 and B2 (second and forth slot from cpu) and try boot. If it boots it can be doa graphics card. If it doesn't boot is most likely motherboard.

Right, so I did all that already and it did boot when I had the gpu disconnected. I tried to reset the cmos again maybe 4-5 times and tried to reconnect the gpu to see if that would work. Suddenly the cpu_led came on and everything stopped working. Whereas before I was able to access bios without the gpu connected now I can't access bios at all even with just the cpu and 1 memory stick. I checked the pins, cleaned the cpu with alcohol, but it's the same.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Clearing cmos multiple times wont harm anything.

Single memory is in A2 yeah, checking to be sure?

There's a good chance the socket is no longer working. I would rma it and next time be very gentle.

1K39hPk.png

Mar 1, 2019
Everything youve said and done is looking like the motherboard. Its usually not difficult at all getting a pc to run if everything is connected properly.

Yeah I think that's the case. I unplugged EVERYTHING including the CPU and only ran the PSU 24 pin to the motherboard and the case's power switch and it reacts the same way. The CPU_Led comes on and the case powers on, turns off, and repeats irregularly. I'm going to try to test the PSU when I get home just in case though.