[SOLVED] First Build Motherboard Issues

Sep 15, 2020
I've literally never made an account or posted on a forum like this. Normally, I'm able to simply scour the internet and resolve my issue with some time and effort. Doing that this time has lead me to believe that I might just have a faulty motherboard on my hands, but I wanted to ask to see if there is anything I might be missing. Apologies for the long post. I'm just trying to provide all the information I can because it seems most posts don't.

My build:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core 3.8 GHz
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5500 XT
EVGA 500 BA
WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD
Phanteks PH-TC12LS_RGB
DIYPC Shadow-H3-ARGB Black Steel

Background:
I've upgraded RAM and GPUs before, but this was my first full build. All seemed to be going well. After figuring out where everything plugged in and ample checking, everything booted fine. I installed Windows 10 and was updating drivers. I was trying to get the ARGB LED lights that came with the case fans working because they had turned off after a system restart. I switched the reset switch to the fan controller so the LED button on the case would work as the manuals say you can do. The LED button did nothing now (before it was resetting the system properly). I tried using the ARGB connector on the fan controller with the motherboard because I wanted to use the ASRock Polychrome RGB Sync software anyway but the software didn't detect it when it was plugged in (I'm thinking my case isn't compatible with that software). I tried the second ARGB header on the motherboard and when I restarted the computer, I noticed that the motherboard lights were showing red for CPU and DRAM. I should have looked for it earlier but this was my first build. However, they were only on for a moment because the system shut down almost immediately.

The Problem:
Now I can't get it to post at all. Sometimes when I turn the power supply on it doesn't do anything at all. Other times the CPU fan will spin and the two red lights for CPU and DRAM will turn on and then it will immediately turn off. I've followed every step in the https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/ list. I tested the PSU in my old computer and it worked fine; although, I didn't run it long because I was worried it would damage that board too if it was the problem. (The old computer's PSU is too weak and old to test on this new board). I've moved the RAM around. I've got it set up as a breadboard right now with no GPU, the CPU reseated with the stock cooler fan on. I've taken the battery out of the board and waited. I've read that the RAM could be incompatible, but everything I see says it should be as far as I know. I'm stumped at this point, and with my limited knowledge, I don't know where to go from here.

The Question(s):
Do you think the case fan RGB issue is related to the motherboard or is the case's fan controller faulty (or maybe I just need to hook up the RGB stuff differently)? I was thinking my case needed to be replaced, but now I'm not sure. Is my motherboard bad? Could it have shorted somehow? I don't really have a way to test the CPU or RAM further, but it seems to me that they should both be fine. I've changed RAM plenty of times, and although I've never done a CPU, they seem super straightforward nowadays. At this point, I've got my shipping label out and everything ready to return the motherboard and replace it. What am I missing?

Solution
It is a tight fit into the case, so the edge of the motherboard may have touched the side of the case
There shouldn't be any conductive traces at the edges of the board, so it shouldn't matter, assuming you didn't use force to make the mobo fit in the case.

Did you take precautions to prevent esd damage of the components ?
Apologies for the long post. I'm just trying to provide all the information I can because it seems most posts don't.
I love it when first time posters take the time to get it all written :D

First thing first : I haven't used that cabinet, so can you confirm you used spacers correctly so the mobo didn't get in touch with the cabinet back plate?

Also : check that CPU fan are connected to the CPU fan directly - otherwise some mobo's may interpret this as faulty cpu fan and thus cpu failure.

Sep 15, 2020
I love it when first time posters take the time to get it all written :D

First thing first : I haven't used that cabinet, so can you confirm you used spacers correctly so the mobo didn't get in touch with the cabinet back plate?

Also : check that CPU fan are connected to the CPU fan directly - otherwise some mobo's may interpret this as faulty cpu fan and thus cpu failure.

I used the six spacers provided in the configuration on the sheet that came with the case. It is a tight fit into the case, so the edge of the motherboard may have touched the side of the case, but the back definitely wasn't. (It is no longer in the case now, as I've been testing it while resting on the cardboard box it came in.

I've tried it with the CPU fan connected to the CPU_FAN1 header and with it connected to the CPU_FAN2/WP header with no difference. Still doesn't post and shuts down. I've also done it with the stock fan that came with the CPU and the fan I purchased separately. Right now, I have the stock fan attached because I was trying to test the board with the least amount of hardware on it.

TRENDING THREADS