First build. Need help final checks and opinions

StormCloudSeven

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013
The Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22peB

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($184.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.65 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($334.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($94.48 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1103.37

Hi, first time PC builder here. I basically took this build from one of the high-rated Completed Builds on PcPartPicker. The only things I've changed was the color of the case, and I added Windows 8.1 OS since their original list didn't have an OS.

The reason why I took their build instead of making my own is because I don't know enough about compatibility to know what manufacturer parts work well with each other. I figured using one of the completed builds made by of high rated posts will ensure that the parts are compatible with each other, and that the parts' dimensions will fit into the case.

But I'd just like to get second opinions from you guys here to double check on that. I'd also like your opinions on whether you think some of the parts could be switched out with something cheaper (such as the motherboard or the PSU), and will still not interfere with compatibility and performance.

Notes*
- No additional CPU cooler because I will not be overclocking.

Solution
You will need an aftermarket cooler for that CPU, even at stock, because they heat up and the stock cooler, despite the heat pipes, is terrible at keeping that CPU cool. In fact, the new CPUs that are released run quite warm and if you are gaming, an aftermarket cooler is now sort of required, because of how hot they now run. Though your build looks impressive, here is a counter-build -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($212.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150...

dottorrent

Honorable
You will need an aftermarket cooler for that CPU, even at stock, because they heat up and the stock cooler, despite the heat pipes, is terrible at keeping that CPU cool. In fact, the new CPUs that are released run quite warm and if you are gaming, an aftermarket cooler is now sort of required, because of how hot they now run. Though your build looks impressive, here is a counter-build -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($212.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($102.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($334.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($86.20 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($97.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1080.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-15 08:04 EST-0500)

I have added a CPU cooler to the Core i5, since they get hot while gaming. This is also cheaper and the PSU is essentially the same as your pick (i.e. made by the same Original engineering Manufacture, Seasonic) but priced more aggressively.

Enjoy.

Solution

StormCloudSeven

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013

Thanks for the feedback!
Not a problem if i have to get an aftermarket cooler.
Can I ask what the difference is to changing the CPU from the 8350 to the i5? Because at first I got a pretty good impression of the AMD 8350 from this test video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
And on paper the 8350 has 4.0GHz and 8 cores, while the i5 only has 3.4Ghz and quad-core (although I'm not entirely sure what those numbers mean lol). Would it be compatible if I only switch the CPU back to the AMD one, and keep everything else you recommended?

I also need a 64-bit OS system because that is what some of the next gen games seem to only support

dottorrent

Honorable

The Fx-8350 is not actually an Octa-core processor. It is 4 Pseudo-cores with 2 cores inside each core, which gives the effect of 4 cores, 8 threads.

However, cores and GHz don't make a processor go fast. It's the overall architecture and the Haswell architecture uses much less energy, even while overclocking, it is very quick off it's feet and faster in single-threaded applications like Photoshop and 3DS max.

And ahh, thank you for pointing out that mistake.

StormCloudSeven

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013

I see. Yeah i actually have to use 3Ds Max a lot so perhaps your build with the i5 is the better choice for me