[SOLVED] First build -- no display; RAM not detected?

nosewings

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
The relevant parts are listed here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XTTZnH

I have the motherboard in the case and the GPU/CPU/RAM/PSU installed. (Not all of the standoffs are screwed in; my impression has been that this shouldn't necessarily matter.) When I power the system on, all the LEDs light up, including the RAM, but there's no display. The CPU debug LED blinks briefly and then turns off, and then the DRAM LED lights and stays on.

I've tried running it with just one stick of RAM, and I've tried it with both sticks. What are the odds that both sticks are bad? And is it possible that the RAM is installed improperly even if the LEDs are lighting up? Or is it probably the motherboard?

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Make sure all cables are plugged in correctly and are well-settled, also make sure your monitor is plugged into the GPU video ports, not the motherboard ports. If neither of these is the problem, try a CMOS reset.

Edit: Do all the fans spin up, especially GPU?
Make sure all cables are plugged in correctly and are well-settled, also make sure your monitor is plugged into the GPU video ports, not the motherboard ports. If neither of these is the problem, try a CMOS reset.

Edit: Do all the fans spin up, especially GPU?

Solution

nosewings

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Thanks for the help. The problem was much simpler than I thought: the motherboard DIMM slots have only one latch, and you have to push the RAM in on the non-latched side first until it clicks. Once I did that, everything worked.