Question First build not booting, possibly bad CPU?

Oct 2, 2020
I recently started building my first PC and I got it to turn on, but it will not boot into the BIOS or do anything else. When I turn on the PC, all of the fans start spinning and everything appears to be working, but when I plug it into a monitor nothing happens. The EZ debug lights on the motherboard say that the GPU, boot device, and CPU are not detected. I know that the GPU works and is getting power because the fans at the bottom spin when I turn everything on. I have tried booting it with just the essentials (CPU and one stick of RAM) and it still did not do anything. One thing I thought was strange was that when I unplug the CPU power cable from the power supply to the motherboard, the GPU and boot device lights go off, but the CPU light stays on obviously. I am not sure if this is normal, or if this proves that the CPU is working. The only thing I can think of at this point is that either the CPU or motherboard is bad and needs to be replaced, but I don't have other compatible parts to test them with.

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz
motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX AM4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3200
PSU: Seasonic S12III 650W
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB

Are you connecting the display to ports on the GPU?

Do a CMOS reset, with battery pulled out for a few minutes. Then reassemble and try again.

And of course, do a double triple check of connections. And make sure the motherboard isn't contacting the case except on installed standoffs.

And lastly: are you confident the CPU was installed well? That is, it went in the socket without a struggle so that no pins got bent?

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
I can't see anything strange from the pictures. I have two things I want to mention though.

1) I didn't notice this the first time I responded, but you mentioned trying to boot without the GPU and just the CPU and RAM. In this case, that cannot possibly boot. The 3600 does not have gfx processing, and that motherboard wouldn't have an on-board gpu. So you definitely need the graphics card

2) I am not seeing where you mention your boot device. Is it an SSD? And is it located under the GFX card as seen in your images, in one of the NVMe lanes? Even if that wasn't detected, it should still boot to a black screen with white text saying "no boot drive detected", but I am just curious.

Have you taken the CPU out entirely and then put it right back in? When you say that you took the CPU power out, was it the 2x4 pin (motherboard) to 8 pin (psu) cord that you are referring to?

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
So has your pc not worked since your original post,(Oct 2nd?)

Not to be obnoxious, but they say they are having the "same problem". If they have the "same problem", then their computer isn't starting. If it is starting, then that would be their fault for not understanding how words work... so we should assume that they understand how words work.