First build: overwhelmed by case selection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
There are SO many cases out there, I don't even know where to begin looking!

My only frame of reference is my current Dell Studio which I dislike for one reason only: not enough hard drive bays. If it wasn't for that, I would probably keep it.

Is there anything else I should look for in a case?

Here are current specs of the system I'm building:

i7-3770, 32 Gig, not OC
GTX 570 or similar
RAID card
600 watt modular psu
card reader for SD/CF
one DVD-ROM
6-8 internal hard drives (inlcuding SSD)
[it would be nice if one HDD was accessable from the outside for easy replacement]
eSATA, USB 3, audio preferably on the front panel and in the back

Quietness is important!

I know nothing about fans!

Solution

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

here is a review from tweaktown. but as for the bd level with all the fans 120+ mil i would assume it would peak somewhere in the ball park of 30-45ish db if its not next to any mics it should be about like white noise and semi noticeable. you will have to get a response from 23 to get a more accurate range.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

I like the look of that one. The interior looks very refined, and it has all the expansion I could wish for. It may be a tad too customizable. Do I have to decide whether to turn the HDD cage 90 degrees? How is the sound level with the 8 fans?

If I decided that being a newbie, I should go with something in the sub-$75 range until I knew more, is there anything that you would recommend?

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

audio and video recording are sensitive to noise. ie im sure you have heard white noise in the background when you turn a movie up too high it sounds like static. the biggest this is you want a computer as quiet as possible to keep under that threshold. if the computer is close to where your recording obviously u want it silent if its going to be farther away you will have more room for noise. it also depends on the mic. high end studio mics can pickup a pindrop from 15ft away. im assuming with his focus being primarily on editing he will not have a quiet room for recording so he will have more room for noise.

personally i would go for the better quality case from the beginning

rather than buy a cheaper case,build it all then decide its not adequate

you can always grow into the better case as you go along

as already said my mechanical drive is louder than my fans--but if i can find an android app for decibel reading for my phone i will

give you a more accurate noise level

i get you

for some reason i assumed he was editing stuff that had already been recorded or videoed so background noise wouldnt matter

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

if you want to go cheap, i am a penny pincher, and dont mind adding fans and a little noise then the 210 elite is a good plain choice it is a case i was looking at for a begginer build for my 6 yr old.

it has your hardrive space. but you may need a converter for 2.5 drives. it is tooless. and can scale up to 5 120 mil and 2 120/140 mill fans. plus it will fit an aftermarket cpu cooler if needed. as most of the more expensive cases can.

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

in most cases for editing you would have a prerecorded file but in some cases the editing requires a new audio track (hopefully not) but it happens and that is where he could use the same computer with the dampening to record and not have that issue. but as i said it sounds more like he is just cropping and such over actually replacing segments and audio.

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

How does the 210 Elite compare to this Lian Li?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112304

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

+1 for the better case for build. if you get a good case to start with that does everything you need then you can reuse that case in future builds and save money. im going cheap b/c i know my 6 yr old is going to destroy her case... or draw on it :eek: ... anyway im still useing a case i bought 6 years ago when computers first started getting 120mil fans and it works great today even though my wife broke the front usb ports...

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

your loosing 2 3.5 bays and going down to 3 preinstalled 120mil with a option 140mil slot. which with all the fans should be sufficent for what you need. but it does support 11 in graphics cards. where as the 210 only supports 9 in cards with the hdd cage in.
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=526&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/source_210_elite

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012
keep in mind your looking at a gtx 570 so you need support for 9in VGA card plus clearance for power cords if they connect on the back.

Edit: some of the bigger 570s are 11 in

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

And quality-wise, does the Lian Li look like a quality case? Are there any drawbacks to aluminum?

Btw, I missed where it says there is a 140mm fan option. I don't see it on the newegg page (in the picture), but some other picture show a hole on top for 140mm.

got an asus direct cu gtx570 3 slot video card in the storm trooper no sweat

heres the decibel readings from android app--dont know how accurate the app is

totally quiet room with no background noise (well it was once the bloody girlfriend and the cat shut up)

17db

phone sitting directly on top of pc 42db

phone 3 feet from the pc 35db

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

lian li cases are all good quality. generally they are overpriced for what options you can get is the biggest drawback. from the looks of it it looks like it will suit your needs if you go 6 HDD or less but yes the hole in the top is where the 140 goes though you may want to get a grill for it for a couple $. and also the lian li should support the standard 570 with no problem.

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

lol sometimes i scare myself... i was almost spot on for this hahaha. i said 30-45db .

edit: from across the room say 10+ ft this shouldnt be much more than standard ambient sound unless ur in a quiet room.

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Thanks guys. You have given me a lot to chew on. I think there are some solid choices here.

ps: Hopefully the GTX 670 will be widely available soon, and Adobe will have worked out some kinks on the 6-series and Adobe After Effects.

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

It's a bedroom, so when no one is snoring it's pretty quiet!

actually its a living room

but some one is still snoring anyway :fou:

from 10 feet away it shows 27db in between the snoring (that shows over 50db from 10 feet away :fou: )

if the tv is on you cant hear the pc full stop

so this app is pretty accurate then going by those measurements?

gtx670 is easily available in the uk

but some issues are now being reported with v-sync induced stuttering on some of them so glad i held off on getting one

heres a good forum link from gtx670 users

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18400740

rinval

Honorable
May 17, 2012

all the cases except the 210 should support the 9.5-11.5 gtx 670 so you should be good there. and hahaha snoring in ur living room... sounds like its time to find some warm water to put their hand in mwahahahaha!.