Question First build problems. Mobo light on, No POST, No fans.

Jan 18, 2020
Currently trying to build my little brother a gaming PC.
Parts are as follows:
CPU : Intel Core i5 - 3330 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (remnant from a default manufactured PC. Only old part in the build)
CPU Fan : Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus B75M-Plus Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
PSU: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Link to pcpartspicker. Definitely not the best build, but I have to work with it.

Issue:
No response. Fans don't turn on, no POST. The standby green light on the Motherboard is on.

I've tried resetting CMOS, I've taken everything out of the case and connecting only the CPU, PSU, Video card, CPU fan, 1 stick of RAM and a monitor. Touched the 2 pins for the power with a screwdriver, nothing. Everything is new except the HDD and CPU. Can't deny the possibility that I scratched something during installation. The only other thing is I've lost the jumpers for the pins responsible for setting wakeup via keyboard/mouse.

Any help is appreciated. I've been looking around the forums for similar cases, but nothing's worked so far. Thank you!

Update: I performed the Paper Clip test on the PSU. When it wasn't connected to anything, the PSU fan spun for 3 or so seconds before turning off. After connected it to the SSD, the PSU spun for a second before turning off in a jitter.

Update: Swapped the PSU. All fans are now turning on normally. But now running into an issue with the monitor not receiving a signal. Just posted a new thread with that issue as the main focus. Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020
Connect only CPU, one stick of ram, and PSU to the motherboard. No graphics card.

Then try it.

If no progress, reseat CPU and ram.

Thank you for the response! After removing the graphics card, tapping the pins for power caused the fan to spin for a second before turning off in a jitter. I swapped one ram stick for another, same result. I reseated the CPU, same result. I also swapped the ram stick into the second slot, same result. (Finally, something happened!)

Jan 18, 2020
Just checked the Asus B75M-Plus Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard supported QVL memory list and the G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory with the model number (F3-10666CL9D-16GBX) is not in the list.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8B75-V/B75_memory_report.pdf

There are only like 9 model number for the 1333MHz and none are from G.SKILL.

Does that mean the RAM I have is incompatible with the motherboard? Should I purchase one from the list and try it?

JimTH

Commendable
Jan 11, 2020
this might be silly but I saw this happen with a GPU once. If it is an 8 pin power feed to the GPU, and it comes with an addaptor that y splits into 2 4 pin females, you DON'T want to connect two 4 pin modular feeds to it. You want the 6 and 2 GPU cable (sometimes labeled PCIe). It wont damage the board but the grounding is wrong.

Jan 18, 2020
Hello!
Currently trying to build my little brother a gaming PC.
Parts are as follows:
CPU : Intel Core i5 - 3330 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (remnant from a default manufactured PC. Only old part in the build)
CPU Fan : Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus B75M-Plus Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
PSU: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Link to pcpartspicker. Definitely not the best build, but I have to work with it.

Just fixed an issue with a faulty PSU, now running into a second issue. The monitor isn't receiving a signal.
The monitor is old, with only DVI-D and VGA ports. No signal when connecting the GPU to the Monitor via DVI-D, tried connecting the Mobo to the Monitor via DVI-D and then VGA, no signal. Tried connecting the GPU via HDMI to a TV by unplugging the HDMI from the Switch we were using the night before, no signal. Everything was done outside the case with only one stick of ram in the slot closest to the CPU, the CPU, a CPU fan and nothing else. All fans are running normally, mobo light is on. There aren't any beeps because I don't have a Mobo speaker.
One thing of notice, I didn't have the CPU fan cooling the CPU. The CPU fan is a tower so I would have to install it onto the motherboard outside the case. Don't know if that could be a potential issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: