[SOLVED] First Build PSU Coil Whine

nvoyy

Prominent
Jul 9, 2020
Recently finished my first build, everything with it is great but when I play anything that is quite hard on graphics I am getting coil whine. It seems this isn't the end of the world but it can get quite loud and annoying without headphones on.

I am pretty sure it is coming from the PSU and not the GPU. Is there anything I can do to reduce this without replacing the PSU entirely? I don't have a spare sitting around to just try so would rather not spend if I don't have too.

I have an EVGA GQ 650W and the GPU is a Gigabyte RTX2080 Super.

Solution
@nvoyy
This is a new build, so I assume all the parts are under warranty. If it is that annoying, I would return it. Before I did that, I would get a length of hose and make sure the noise is coming from the PSU and not the GPU or MB (you hold one end to your ear and use it like a stethoscope).
@nvoyy
This is a new build, so I assume all the parts are under warranty. If it is that annoying, I would return it. Before I did that, I would get a length of hose and make sure the noise is coming from the PSU and not the GPU or MB (you hold one end to your ear and use it like a stethoscope).

Solution

nvoyy

Prominent
Jul 9, 2020
@nvoyy

Could you take a side panel off to troubleshoot or is that a bit of a no-no?

A pc runs just fine without a case cover.
Use a paper tube to locate the sound.
EVGA support is very good if you think the unit is defective.
They may agree to a RMA exchange where you buy the new unit and they refund the charge when you return the old.