[SOLVED] First build since 2011

Jan 1, 2020
My aim is to be spending around $2-2.5k AUD including monitor, which I can pretty much achieve with the below.

As you can tell, I plan on keeping my PC for a long time, so I want something that is as future proof as possible while still keeping below that budget that I've set.

Not too sure whether the CPU and PSU are overkill for what I want to achieve. Indecisive on the GPU atm, is there much difference between the two? If I was wanting to keep this PC for as long as possible, would the 5700 XT Red Devil work as well?

PartModel
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MoboGigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAMCorsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
StorageSilicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPUMSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
ORASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB
PSUCorsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CaseFractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case
MonitorLG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andskee/saved/#view=jYymgs

Solution
You want 3600mhz memory, not 3200mhz. With R3 you will be leaving significant performance on the table with 3200mhz sticks. Also, if this is a build you want to last as long as possible, especially if you are doing more with this than gaming BUT even if you are only gaming as there have lately been a few games coming with "recommended" memory capacities of beyond 16GB so future games might well make this a necessity rather than a preference for high end performance, then you might want to consider a 2 x16GB memory kit rather than a 2 x8GB one. If you are pretty sure 16GB is going to be all you will EVER need, then fine, but consider that adding memory later is going to be a crapshoot and there will be no guarantees, even if you buy the...
You want 3600mhz memory, not 3200mhz. With R3 you will be leaving significant performance on the table with 3200mhz sticks. Also, if this is a build you want to last as long as possible, especially if you are doing more with this than gaming BUT even if you are only gaming as there have lately been a few games coming with "recommended" memory capacities of beyond 16GB so future games might well make this a necessity rather than a preference for high end performance, then you might want to consider a 2 x16GB memory kit rather than a 2 x8GB one. If you are pretty sure 16GB is going to be all you will EVER need, then fine, but consider that adding memory later is going to be a crapshoot and there will be no guarantees, even if you buy the EXACT same kit, that any sticks you add will play nice with the ones you already have installed.

Also, the 2070 Super has significantly higher .1/1% low FPS than the 5700 XT in most titles, so you can make that determination for yourself.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9049/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-step-right-direction/index10.html

The rest of it looks very good. Well, I might consider a different drive. Silicon power isn't generally thought to be a substantially high quality manufacturer plus, that particular drive uses QLC NAND, which is known to not have the same kind of endurance as TLC NAND, so long term longevity might be a problem. I'd recommend looking at the Corsair MP510 instead, which is the least expensive of the 1TB NVME drives using TLC NAND for your region that I can see.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($209.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $209.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-02 16:19 AEDT+1100

Or, the Samsung 9709 EVO/EVO Plus or one of the other TLC NVME drives. If the cost of those in unreachable, then you might well be better off to simply consider a standard SATA SSD using TLC NAND because honestly for gaming or programs, an NVME drive has little to offer EXCEPT for faster loading times and in some cases slightly faster cache response times. It won't give you more FPS and for MOST processes and operations it won't offer anything that is better or faster than a standard SATA SSD for most normal random operations, and random operations are the majority of what your OS sees.

Reactions: chefbrook and boju
Solution
Jan 1, 2020
You want 3600mhz memory, not 3200mhz. With R3 you will be leaving significant performance on the table with 3200mhz sticks. Also, if this is a build you want to last as long as possible, especially if you are doing more with this than gaming BUT even if you are only gaming as there have lately been a few games coming with "recommended" memory capacities of beyond 16GB so future games might well make this a necessity rather than a preference for high end performance, then you might want to consider a 2 x16GB memory kit rather than a 2 x8GB one. If you are pretty sure 16GB is going to be all you will EVER need, then fine, but consider that adding memory later is going to be a crapshoot and there will be no guarantees, even if you buy the EXACT same kit, that any sticks you add will play nice with the ones you already have installed.

Also, the 2070 Super has significantly higher .1/1% low FPS than the 5700 XT in most titles, so you can make that determination for yourself.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9049/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-step-right-direction/index10.html

The rest of it looks very good. Well, I might consider a different drive. Silicon power isn't generally thought to be a substantially high quality manufacturer plus, that particular drive uses QLC NAND, which is known to not have the same kind of endurance as TLC NAND, so long term longevity might be a problem. I'd recommend looking at the Corsair MP510 instead, which is the least expensive of the 1TB NVME drives using TLC NAND for your region that I can see.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($209.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $209.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-02 16:19 AEDT+1100

Or, the Samsung 9709 EVO/EVO Plus or one of the other TLC NVME drives. If the cost of those in unreachable, then you might well be better off to simply consider a standard SATA SSD using TLC NAND because honestly for gaming or programs, an NVME drive has little to offer EXCEPT for faster loading times and in some cases slightly faster cache response times. It won't give you more FPS and for MOST processes and operations it won't offer anything that is better or faster than a standard SATA SSD for most normal random operations, and random operations are the majority of what your OS sees.

Thanks heaps for the in depth reply! Much appreciated.

Regarding the SSD, I chose it based on reviews mentioning it punches well above its weight, and actually uses Toshiba’s BiCS3 64L TLC NAND.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13955/the-silicon-power-p34a80-ssd-review-phison-e12-with-newer-firmware/8

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silicon-power-p34a80-pcie-gen3x4-m-2-nvme-ssd,6180.html

For the RAM, would the G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 be sufficient? I'm only planning on gaming watching vids, and browsing to be honest, so I don't really think I'd need 32 GB.

You are right, that unit does use TLC. Not sure how I got that confused but it happens I guess. I still see that several reviews seem to indicate that SP isn't terribly confident about the longevity of these drives as they have a very conservative TBW rating, so that's still something to maybe consider. Personally, given the fact that you won't see ANY benefit other than a smaller footprint, from a PCI NVME drive to another PCI NVME drive, aside from MAYBE some occasional burst reads from the OS since the majority of what it does will be reading and writing smaller random files and operations, it might still be worth it to simply get a good SATA SSD which will be just as fast in 95% of the things you do, but will be generally cheaper and last longer. Obviously, that's your call.

I'm using a 970 EVO myself, but that was more for reducing the storage footprint in my case than anything else. I have so much other storage, including a QNAP NAS box with 9 drives, that I rarely transfer anything to or from the OS drive anyhow. As far as boot times go, I guess you have to ask how often are you booting the system and is saving two seconds per day really that big of a deal.

This kit is good quality AND is compatible with your motherboard per the G.Skill memory configurator on their website.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $78.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-02 04:25 EST-0500

Jan 1, 2020
You are right, that unit does use TLC. Not sure how I got that confused but it happens I guess. I still see that several reviews seem to indicate that SP isn't terribly confident about the longevity of these drives as they have a very conservative TBW rating, so that's still something to maybe consider. Personally, given the fact that you won't see ANY benefit other than a smaller footprint, from a PCI NVME drive to another PCI NVME drive, aside from MAYBE some occasional burst reads from the OS since the majority of what it does will be reading and writing smaller random files and operations, it might still be worth it to simply get a good SATA SSD which will be just as fast in 95% of the things you do, but will be generally cheaper and last longer. Obviously, that's your call.

I'm using a 970 EVO myself, but that was more for reducing the storage footprint in my case than anything else. I have so much other storage, including a QNAP NAS box with 9 drives, that I rarely transfer anything to or from the OS drive anyhow. As far as boot times go, I guess you have to ask how often are you booting the system and is saving two seconds per day really that big of a deal.

This kit is good quality AND is compatible with your motherboard per the G.Skill memory configurator on their website.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $78.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-02 04:25 EST-0500

Do you have any recommendations for a good 1TB SSD in the 150-200 AUD range? The SP and Corsair NVME are both under that price point. I did consider the Samsung Evo 860 SATA, but it's only a tiny amount more to get the NVME drives.

If the price difference is small, and you are ok with maybe not getting quite as much longevity out of that SP drive, then I'd just go ahead and use it, BUT, I would also want to make that as soon as possible you also get another secondary drive or an external USB drive, to create and store a full backup of your OS drive onto in the event of a failure. And actually, that applies to everybody, in every situation, anyhow, but even more so IF there might be any chance that a drive may fail earlier than expected due to potentially not being of the same quality and reliability as some other brands models.

As far as a SATA SSD is concerned, this would be a good option. Every bit as good as any other SATA 2.5" SSD out there in my opinion.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.00 @ PLE Computers)
Total: $159.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-03 05:15 AEDT+1100