(first) build using old CPU and RAM to make Gaming PC - need help

Sep 15, 2018
I'm aiming to make a new gaming PC out of parts from my current computer, bu also using budget parts from online stores. I am to have a budget of around $600 not including a GPU, which will come later.

The specs I am thinking of:
i5-4460 CPU
DDR3-1600 RAM
*both of the above are from my current pc

EDITED
PSU - Silverstone SST-SX500-LG 500W SFX-L 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/silverstone-sstsx500lg-500w-sfxl-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ab59133

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper H411R
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41086/cooler-master-hyper-h411r-cpu-cooler-white-led

EDITED:
Case - Deepcool Tesseract ($55)
https://www.mwave.com.au/product/deepcool-tesseract-sw-windowed-midtower-atx-case-blue-ab60191

Motherboard - MSI H81M-E33 LGA 1150 Micro-ATX Motherboard - https://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-h81me33-lga-1150-microatx-motherboard-ac14624

Are there any problems with my ideas?
I certainly want to go for a gtx 1060 as I will be running games like Fortnite, GTA V, Battlefield etc.

I also want to minimise the cost of the PC by using parts from my old computer which I have now (and has a R5 M320 GPU lol)

As for storage, I have a 256gb SSD (which is almost full) which has Windows 10 on it. I'm also looking at getting a Firecuda SSHD 1TB if I need more storage.

Thanks for you help :)

Your budget is enough to allow for a full upgrade, minus the GPU as you plan to upgrade it later.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.71 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $581.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 20:06 EDT-0400

If you want to use the current CPU and,RAM thats fine also. That PSU you selected is garbage and I wouldn't touch it.

Sep 15, 2018

The problem is that you are working in USD, and I'm in AUD.
The price list you posted is around $800 AUD, which is (+/-$50 ish) my whole budget including GPU...
What's wrong with the power supply? I wanted something around 550-600w to safely run the PC.

I've also got an old Corsair HX520w PSU from my dad's old computer which ran XP. It comes in an old Antec Sonata case, along with 3x3 speed fans built in. (which i might be able to reuse???) I've removed it, but I don't know whether it will work... The whole system ran a core 2 Duo with ddr2 ram on a Gigabyte motherboard

Thanks for the help so far, looking forward to your next answer.
Cheers

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Scorptec)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.00 @ Umart)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($218.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.01 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($82.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $637.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-06 11:34 AEST+1000

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Best you can do for a gaming pc that'll last longer than 6 months. You could shave a few quid on the psu by using that old HX, but at @6 years old it's getting close to retirement.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Scorptec)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.00 @ Umart)
Memory: G.Skill - FORTIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($187.00 @ IJK)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($58.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.50 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($349.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($88.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1024.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-06 11:36 AEST+1000

Sep 15, 2018

would that case be okay?
I'd prefer to go with an Intel CPU, but I'll look into this

currently thinking of this
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QQpnjy
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QQpnjy/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper H411R 34.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.00)
Motherboard: MSI - H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.00)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($85.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($100.00)
Total: $578.99

Unfortunatley it says that there may have to be a BIOS update... what does that mean?

Sep 15, 2018

Can you think of anything that I can keep my current CPU and RAM for?
I'm an Intel guy, and my dad's AMD PC has a RX 560 4GB - It gives me the shits xD

Sep 15, 2018

So, you're saying to keep the CPU, the RAM and the motherboard? Or just the CPU and the RAM?
I think the motherboard has a slot for a graphics card, but I would have to get a new case and PSU to use another GPU. (the PSU it has is 180w right now)

Sep 15, 2018

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/silverstone-sstsx500lg-500w-sfxl-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ab59133
How does this look as a power supply?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Mostly, motherboards in the under-enthusiast range are all pretty much the same, perform the same, do the same basic things. For a locked cpu such as your i5, the mobo you have is good. The only real differences between those budget boards are the gimmicks. Some have better software, some have better lan, more fan headers, more usb3.0 headers etc. But for a basic system on a locked cpu, they are equitable. So keep it.
Ram is ram, you already know it works, so no point in spending extra for replacement. At 16Gb, you have plenty, extra actually, most games will only use 4Gb-12Gb, so 16Gb gives you breathing room and dual channel bandwidth, so that's all good too.

I5-4460 is respectable, it'll handle anything an i5 can. So it'll be great for simpler thread games, but just like any other quad core may have issues with high multithread games such as GTA:V or BF1 which do far better on cpus of 6+ threads. They'll play, but expect lowered fps and high cpu usage.

So your core components are a decent start, especially for 1080p/60Hz monitors, where all that matters is smooth game play, you won't be breaking fps records and higher resolutions are mostly on the gpu anyways. So that'll be the biggest area of upgrade. Unbelievably, after the huge hit for coin mining, the Rx580 is cheaper now than most nvidia 1060's and with its equitable performance, that's the best bang for the buck. Granted it'll need a slightly larger psu, I've generally recommended a good 550w for the Rx, 650w if overclocking. I'd not put an Rx on a CX, instead a Seasonic Focus, BitFenix Whisper M, Corsair TXM/RMx, Evga G2/G3 or similar 550w would be preferable. CX if 650w instead. The extra 20 quid spent on a quality psu vrs ok/decent does pay off, even if you don't see it, it's a matter of lifetime, warranty, ability, efficiency, durability etc. An example would be that old HX520, that's a really good, if old, psu, one of the best available that many years ago, a CX would have been dead for years by now.

Sep 15, 2018

Awesome! I'd mark this as the solution, except I've got a few more questions... so I really hope you don't mind xD

1. My mobo and other components are currently hidden in a (very) small form factor pc. (If you want to know more, it's a HP Pavilion 550-028a, details are here:
Height: 36.39 cm (14.33 in)
Width: 16.51 cm (6.50 in)
Depth: 37.50 cm (14.88 in) More at:https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04741883
There is barely any room to put long graphics cards in. On the other hand, I have my dad's Antec Sonata case with the HX520 PSU which (he says) is still working. Is it worth it transferring all the components into that case to fit the GPU?
2. If I ever wanted to build a (completely) new system, can I just transfer the storage over? I believe I have a Sandisk 256gb SSD with Win10. After researching extensively on the internet, I can't find a reason why it wouldn't work, only people saying that it wouldn't without explanation.
3. Thanks for all the info about the PSU's. Now for the case: What's the best brand? There're a number of 'Rosewill' cases going cheap in my local pc shop, but I don't know whether they're good or not... Is Nzxt a good brand? Or should I go for Thermaltake or Corsair or any other one?
4. Are eGPU's any good? Will the one's designed for a laptop work with a desktop? something like this: https://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229356.html?wid=1433363#goodsDetail
because I can always 3D print a box to go around it, and leave in holes for the airflow etc.
5. Last one. What is CPU overclocking? What does it change in the computer? Do I need to do it at all, or is it just something people do to push the limits of their PC?

Alright, (massive sigh) I got through them all.
Thank you sooooo much for your help. Both you and bmockeg
I look forward to reading your response

Your current parts "should" fit fine inside your dads case. The PSU is a good model, a but old, bur should be fine for a year or two. The only potential issue would be proprietary connections that HP may have. Some computer makers use specific motherboards that only work with their cases unless you buy a certain adapter. Provided this all works, a GPU would be the best addition to your system. Just be aware, it will struggle some in CPU heavy titles but should play 1080p just fine. Check that the PSU has a pcie power cable for your 1060gtx.

There are plenty of good case brands, Corsair, NZXT, Cooler Master, Phanteks, Fractal Design

If you build a new system, you can transfer the SSD but will need to do a fresh install of Windows.

You can't use mobile GPUs with a desktop.

Overclocking is running a CPU at a higher frequency than stock. Your CPU is not capable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1. Sure, why not, case is a case, just a box to house components.
2. Storage is storage, currently its basically all a form of Sata III, so no worries on ssd transfer, however it's strongly recommended that doing so will require a reinstall of windows as any shift in motherboards will mean it's a new system and have all new mobo drivers that can conflict with the old ones. The issue there with that is that it's a HP OEM liscence, so the swap in mobo's might require the purchase of a new key. If so, best to just download a fresh install of win10, use the media creation tool to slap it on a usb and install a non HP bloatware version. Unless you really want to personalize it, you don't even need a key immediately.
3. Rosewill are OK, not too shabby for budget cases, Nzxt are quite good, but can get expensive for the better models. Cases are very personal, you have to look at it, build in it, live with it, not me or anyone else, so whatever you choose best make you happy, no matter anyone else's choice.
4. No. eGpus are good for laptops where the model is lacking good graphics and someone needs good graphics for a minute. Basically you rent the ability to use someone else's good gpu, but you'll suffer all kinds of lag as it takes time to send the cpu data to the rented gpu, which then has to be shipped back to you. You'll swing at a ball that's already struck you out.
5. Intel OC requires a Z rated motherboard and a K rated (unlocked multiplier) cpu. Without both, there's no OC. OC really only boosts cpu internal speeds, taking a 3.4GHz processor to 4.xGHz etc but with Intel, that won't affect much but a few fps. Also requires larger capacity heatsink and a larger, better efficiency psu. OC is something that needs to be dialed in with plenty of trial and errors, it's not a plug and play thing. It's honestly more of a hobby than a necessity with modern cpus, they are stronger than the games they deal with.

Sep 15, 2018

Hello again,
I recently transferred the Mobo from my HP into my dads case.
I plugged everything in and the Mobo and case fans started up fine.
Next thing I know was that when I turned it off, the cpu fans revs fast and stops suddenly.
After that, it wouldn’t turn on at all.
Nothing showed up on the screen the first time I turned it on as well...

Any suggestions?
Thank you

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Do a temporary hookup with the prior 180w psu you had. It's more than likely that old HX has had a cap deteriorate in the time it sat and doesn't work now. Could also be a bad connection at the mobo power plugs since moving from an HP psu to an aftermarket, all it takes is 1 pin wrong to fry everything.

Sep 15, 2018

I had put the HX520w in the smaller HP case, and it had worked perfectly. Everything was plugged in.
I kinda took the old PSU apart because I was curious about what was in it, then chucked it. That was about a month ago.

Do you reckon it would make a difference getting a GPU and plugging the cables into their plugs?
I double-checked whether the monitor was working with my laptop, and it worked perfectly.
I checked it with the VGA cable, and it didn't work, so I then went out to get a brand new HDMI cable.
No difference...

Is your new HDMI cable plugged into the motherboard or the GPU?

Sep 15, 2018

It's plugged into the motherboard because I don't have a GPU as of yet.

TRENDING THREADS