First build won't boot. Correct beeps with no RAM, no beeps with RAM installed.

bromeostasis

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Hey everyone, this is my first time building a PC and unfortunately I haven't even gotten the thing to boot.

Each time a turn on the PC, the leds on the mobo light up (they're for show, but I figure it's a good sign). The CPU fan also starts to spin, but it doesn't sound like it's working too hard. I have a monitor and keyboard (+ a mouse sometimes) plugged in, but nothing appears on the monitor.

What I've tried so far:

Removed ram
Tried ram in each separate spot
Removed motherboard from case, and tried to boot w/ cardboard
Removed cpu from case, because why not
Tried on several keyboard/monitor setups
Used VGA and/or HDMI
Reset the CMOS (popped the battery out and waited for 10+ minutes
After doing this, the cpu starts up for a second, powers down, and restarts (I've heard this is normal)

I bought a case speaker over the weekend to see if I could hear any debugging.

I removed the ram, and heard the correct corresponding beep codes
When I put the ram back in, I get no beep codes, and everything is silent
Are there other ways I can force out some debugging?

One potentially important piece of background:

I bought an intel i7 7500 CPU. I went to my local Micro Center to buy the parts and got tempted by a deal on an ASRock z170 mobo. I bought it thinking I could upgrade the bios before starting the build, but quickly realized an incompatible CPU/MOBO would not even boot.

The build didn't start and I figured it was a compatibility problem with the MOBO/i7 7500 and swapped out the z170 for the asus b-250 plus. Could this mess up the processor? It doesn't look damaged, but I don't really know..

Happy to provide any additional details y'all might need to help me figure this out. I'd really like to avoid paying for someone else to diagnose this issue s any ideas are appreciated!!!!

Solution
Have you tried installing just ONE stick of RAM?
Also, recently asus mobo use a somewhat strange system for securing ram. It's really hard sometimes to determine if stick is right in it's place because of it. I found out it takes a SURPRISINGLY big force to put ram stick in place. Check out that too.
If that won't help, testing different RAM stick is good idea, if you can have one.

GEIL used to make good ram, still have their 4 sticks in old pc, but I'm not sure they still are doing great ...

bromeostasis

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

Here's a link to the RAM: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144927&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I'd assume the best way to test would be to swap out another set of RAM?

Here's a full part list if it'll be helpful! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sVtjbj

Have you tried installing just ONE stick of RAM?
Also, recently asus mobo use a somewhat strange system for securing ram. It's really hard sometimes to determine if stick is right in it's place because of it. I found out it takes a SURPRISINGLY big force to put ram stick in place. Check out that too.
If that won't help, testing different RAM stick is good idea, if you can have one.

GEIL used to make good ram, still have their 4 sticks in old pc, but I'm not sure they still are doing great ...

Solution

bromeostasis

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

I can't believe it, this was it!! I really jammed the RAM in the slots and it booted right up. I've been working on this for a week to no avail. Thank you so much!!

Happens to everyone from time to time :) Hope no more problems for you with this machine.