First build, won't power on

sheft

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I just built my first computer, at least most of the way. I've put together the motherboard, CPU/fan, 2 sticks of memory, HDD, PSU, and hooked everything up according to the MoBo manual.

The motherboard is receiving power, as indicated by the onboard LED. I also know the IPMI (whatever that is) is functioning properly because that LED is flashing.

However, when I press the power button, nothing happens beyond that. The fan doesn't spin, no noises are made, nothing. To make sure it wasn't just the power button, I removed the power button connector, as well as all the reset and LED connectors on that strip. I then used a screwdriver to connect the power button pins, and still got no results.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem? I know this isn't the easiest thing to troubleshoot. I can share any information needed.

sheft

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I just went through that list thoroughly, and no luck :(. One major thing that I didn't know (and this may now be the problem) was that I was supposed to use standoffs to attach the motherboard to the case. I just screwed it directly onto the case like an idiot. Is it likely that a short such as that could have permanently damaged the motherboard when I provided power to it?

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Have you tried to power the system on with the motherboard attached to the standoffs yet? I've heard of situations where people were able to get their system to boot after making the same mistake you did so there is a chance the mobo could still be ok.

sheft

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

The first thing I did was put the motherboard on the standoffs. I went through every step on that list, and it is still unresponsive (except that the mobo is powered).

sheft

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

You're probably right and I'm just reaching here, but if the IPMI light still indicates it's functioning properly, is that any indication that the motherboard is still in good condition? I obviously screwed up, but since the short doesn't always damage it, I'd like to be certain about the problem before I order another $200 motherboard.