[SOLVED] First build

Aug 5, 2020
Hello,

First post so please be gentle.

My son is in the process of building his first computer. He is building it for photo editing as the main requirement so photoshop, light room.

He has picked and ordered the parts and is just waiting for a couple more parts before we start the build.

He has built it on a budget of about £1k and has pretty much maxed out.

I guess I am just looking for confirmation that he has chosen well and that there is no obvious weak spots in the system before we start opening boxes.

Here is a list of the parts:

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AMD AM4 Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3200 MHz c16 xmp 2 memory

Samsung 970 evo plus 250 gb ssd

Cooler Master Hyper 212 black edition

Deep Cool tx mid tower tesseract sw case

Corsair cx550 psu

XFX radeon RX 570 XXX 8gb graphics card

Dell U2412m monitor

Corsair Scimitar pro rgb mouse

Corsair K95 platinum keyboard

Logitech z200 speakers.

Seagate 2tb external storage.

Does this look like a good set up? Are there any obvious weak links? Is there anything that you would swap out /upgrade bearing in mind that he only has about £40 left to put towards the build.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I agree that 250GB SSDs are not ideal, but considering you've already purchased it, if returning it is a hassle you might be happy to hear that it's sufficient for what the PC is intended for. It will comfortably house Adobe's entire photo editing-related apps (even after installing Windows) and also have plenty of extra space for numerous other leisure/office applications whilst still having enough extra space for multiple "current" working folder within the SSD that can later be moved onto the mechanical hard drive as he switches to the next project.

I could argue however that the CPU cooler is not necessary. The cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 3600 is quite sufficient and the difference with the Hyper 212 Evo is quite small...
Aug 5, 2020
That was my concern. He has already bought the ssd but it has not been opened yet so although not ideal, it could be sent back. He is pretty organised and plans not to store anything that he does need to on the ssd. What would the problem be if we stuck with the 250 ssd?

That was my concern. He has already bought the ssd but it has not been opened yet so although not ideal, it could be sent back. He is pretty organised and plans not to store anything that he does need to on the ssd. What would the problem be if we stuck with the 250 ssd?
It will work it's just not ideal, 250GB doesn't get you as far as it used to. Plus it is actually 232.83GB due to marketing/reality differences.

I agree that 250GB SSDs are not ideal, but considering you've already purchased it, if returning it is a hassle you might be happy to hear that it's sufficient for what the PC is intended for. It will comfortably house Adobe's entire photo editing-related apps (even after installing Windows) and also have plenty of extra space for numerous other leisure/office applications whilst still having enough extra space for multiple "current" working folder within the SSD that can later be moved onto the mechanical hard drive as he switches to the next project.

I could argue however that the CPU cooler is not necessary. The cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 3600 is quite sufficient and the difference with the Hyper 212 Evo is quite small. Although, it is still an upgrade from the stock cooler. You may however want to consider substituting this CPU cooler for additional case fans instead.

Solution