nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
My friend recently gave me an old computer. I was hoping to upgrade it and use it for myself, but the guys at my local computer shop said it was cheaper to build a completely new one.

SO....

I ordered a new CPU and Motherboard, and should have it within a few days. I was just curious, is there anything in particular I should be careful of while building? I ordered the following:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX
Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

The PSU that i hope I can use is out of a Gateway 3310, and I believe it's 250W but I'm not 100% sure; The computer is not with me but I may update when i have it again. This is my first build, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
CHAD

G

i'd use something with more power than 250 watts. obviously it depends on what else is going to be in the build but you'll probably want to use a new psu.

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
i'd use something with more power than 250 watts. obviously it depends on what else is going to be in the build but you'll probably want to use a new psu.

Really what I want to know is will the system work WITH the 250? I know its a pretty low size, my other computer has 350, and thats still kinda low from what I've read. I just want to use as much from the free computer as possible for now. I can upgrade later.