First Coffee Lake Mobile Core i9, i7 Laptops Tested: Gaming & Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Nothing really surprising here. The new high end CPUs are throttled by the 45W limit and limited space/volume for cooling.
Better suited for (relatively) thick laptop designs, and it will also be interesting to see how they perform when all threads can be fully utilised.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I'm confident this will be the last of 14nm chips Intel has been releasing for years. The core counts sounds impressive but it will be 8-14 months and we'd start seeing the 10nm mobile parts with the same core counts with longer boost frequency durations.

Giroro

Splendid
I'm curious to see temperatures and maybe a teardown of the cooling in i-9 laptops - considering the desktop i-9s were edging into "impossible to air cool" territory.

I wonder if the laptop i-9s would actually perform any better if you hack together some ideal cooling on a test bench. Is it thermal throttling, or have has the clock simply been reduced too badly just to fit in those extra generally-useless-for-gaming cores.

george_osborne

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
A lot of apples to oranges here. The Aorus has a 1080 vs 1070 in the and 32GB vs 16GB. The PCie SSD may also be faster than the others, no mention of read/write speeds. You would expect better graphics and overall performance with that hardware edge, but then you get what you pay for and the price is almost twice as much. You do, still, (usually) get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.