Question First cold boot of the day results in frozen system with green pixel patterns on screen

Nov 13, 2020
Hi all,

I have an issue that really puzzles me: like the title says, the first cold boot of the day results in frozen system with green pixel patterns on screen. What is strange about it, this does not repeat until after the computer was off for a couple of hours. The GPU is an Inno 3D RTX 2060 Super and behaves superbly in any 3D application I use ( I don't game, but I tested it with Catzilla & Co). I let the GPU under heavy load ( EEVEE infinite render loop) for two days straight and the temp never went over 73C the whole time, nor did the system froze or had any issues whatsoever. The system seems to be very stable, but with some caveats, one of which being that I cannot install any newer driver than the one that Windows 10 would install by itself ( 26.21.14.3200, so very old) without completely screwing the OS ( I get a BSOD even when trying to boot in safe mode, or any other mode for that matter and I have to reinstall the system.) Also, I cannot install any other Windows update newer than May 2020 without getting black screens by boot, before login, or after login, or freezes with the same green pattern.
The event viewer does not show any related messages.
Now, the question is, is the GPU/VRam defective? Should I send it back for replacement?
The System specs are: Ryzen 3900x ( stock speed), 64 GB Ram 3200mhz ( tested with memtest, no errors), mobo Asus Prime B450 Plus (Bios up to date), Inno 3D RTX 2060 Super, Corsair HX850W PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that something is loose.

System does not work until "warmed up" and the "something" expands and contact is restored.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated in place.

You may need to gently rock a few back and forth to ensure the connections are tight.

Nov 13, 2020
Thank you! I thought that as well and I already did all that, reseat the graphic card, memory, Sata etc, so it's not this. Also, it would not explain why I can't update the drivers and Windows...any other thoughts?