First computer(gaming) build...need advice on my setup

JNM11787

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I am currently starting out on my epic journey to create the most bad-ass computer I can with the meager funds at my disposal. While Ive always wanted to build my own gaming system, I know very little about building computers above the basics, and as a result Im not sure if the parts list Im compiling is good, or even compatible. This is where you the good people at Tomshardware come in, I need your advice and experience in order to get the most bang out of my buck, and ensure this legendary quest doesnt end with trash loot...if you get my drift.

This is a brief rundown of my parts list, from what little I know, its the best I could put together for what I had to spend, anything you guys might be able to suggest, or warn me about would be very much appreciated...thanks!

Motherboard- M5A97 R2

CPU- AMD FX 6300 Black

GPU- GeForce GTX 660 2GB

PSU- 600w Corsair unit

RAM- 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX

Storage- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD

OS- Windows7 Home 64bit

Alphanse

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Well, from what i see, your PSU is sufficient enough and can easily power your machine, mot sure exactly with the motherboard, you can look on websites and check compatibility to ensure that your parts will fit, and that it comes with ports you want/need. If you're looking for the most bang out of your buck, i'd suggest going for a 660 Ti, it may cost a little bit more but it's worth the upgrade, and if you're looking to max new titles like Crysis 3, or Bioshock: Infinite i suggest going that way.

Hope this helped, goodluck.

JNM11787

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I have a case picked out...an NXZT Phantom 410, and Ive seen images with the motherboard I want in it...ill try some google searches about compatibility, but port and bus nomenclature is a bit lost on me. Ill also see if I can swing for a 660 Ti...thanks guys

edit: The 660 Ti's Im seeing are about $300 vs the $200ish for a regular 660...would it be better to go with a 650 Ti over a regular 660...I dont know if Ill be playing Crysis 3 or anything just yet, most Ill be doing is WoW, Skyrim prolly, and BF3 if I get around to it

Alphanse

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

You will be fine playing any MMORPG, Skyrim will run smoothly but you may need to tone down the graphics on BF3, look up some benchmarks for FPS on games you like to play and go from there.

Alphanse

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

Great, hope your build goes well. Looked at a few benchmarks for the 660, and you'll get around 50-60 FPS on Ultra on BF3, use this to determine what other games you might want to play and how many FPS you'll get, which will most likely be high.

i run bf3 on all ultra settings, 1080p, 4xaa with vsync on and have yet to see it dip below 60fps, using a gtx660 non-ti version. But honestly i played it a few times and couldnt see what all the fuss was about, the single player feels like someone is holding your hand through the storyline. the multiplayer is filled by players who have been playing it for far too long, so if your just starting out like i was, its not easy and you get killed a lot, everyone else has upgraded weapons and such. go for the 660 over the 650ti, its significantly faster.

JNM11787

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I played it a lot on my 360...BF3 that is, and Im pretty much exclusively a chopper pilot...littlebirds being my favorite, so I kinda wanna do that on PC, as well as some other games...I suck at online FPS's...but gimme something that flies and I can work with it...but honestly WoW will prolly be my most played game, I just want to have potential for later on

TRENDING THREADS