First Core i7 Laptop Has One Hour Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I wonder how long it will last under load? Not to mention if you know anything about Lithium Ion batteries, draining them puts strain on it and shortens the lifespan and capacity.

No thanks.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Mock it if you like but they have the one hour laptop market all to themselves right now. ;)
Come on AMD, we need your one hour laptop to compete with this!

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Sweet. That is about the same as my 4 year old Dell XPS lappy with no replacement battery. These are more aptly named portable computers, as they really are not meant to be used away from the wall outlet.

It should probably have the graphics cards on that list too...

It's just a Clevo derivative notebook. Generally they carry SLI 9800M GTX's. The units carrying the two cards that don't carry i7 (but instead Intel quad cores from the desktop series) also only have about an hour battery life - clearly, the battery life isn't limited by the CPU. This article is kind of misleading.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
How is this a Core i7 laptop when it comes with a 2 or 4 core Xeon? There are no 2-core i7s yet, none the less nehalem Xeons. And what kind of market is this serving? It weighs 11 pounds, comes with a Xeon processor, and no discrete graphics? I was thinking it might be for LAN parties, but a Xeon and no GPU means this is sort of a portable server, but why?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
that's no laptop, it's a monster, raid 5! 11.9 pounds, by the time you put it in a bag, ect it will be 15 pounds. i bet it really doesn't even last 1 hour.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
@roofus: Lawl, that made my day.

@jsloan: Tell me about it! BEHOLD, THE BEHEMOTH! I actually never thought of that. Spec sheets and press releases are usually overly optimistic about how long the battery lasts. If anyone "invests" in one of these, let me know how long it lasts!

G

No thanks for me too.
I'm not into gaming on a laptop.
I wouldn't buy it, even if it only costs $900!

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
It really isn't a laptop. Its an all-in-one workstation/server with a built in 1 hour UPS. Sounds reasonable to me - after all, have you ever heard of a laptop with RAID 5 or 8 GB RAM?

sdcaliceli

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
with those specs i'm even surprised they listed an hour. most desktops on backup battery (ups) barely last 15 minutes and those batteries are gigantic!

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
This is total overkill, why 8gb? 6GB would have been just fine, and 1.5TB storage? Why do you need 3 hard drives? I think there just a bunch of tards who just got bored and decided to cram a core i7 in a box.

I wonder if they include a portable wall with this as well, 1 hour is pointless.

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
wow, apparently nobody understands the purpose of this workstation. its not for gaming, its not for casual use, its for 3D professionals who need to be able to move their workstations around. the battery life is almost an afterthought. they would always plug it in to get maximum performance. i work in the video game industry, and i have a mobile workstation. weighs about 10lbs, 30min battery, but the thing rips through 3D applications when i need to work away from home or the office. so before you all slam it, have an understanding of its purpose.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
This is my daily laugh - but you know 5 years from now these specs will have been streamlined, RAID5 SSD in a single drive, etc. and the battery life will be standard 2-3 hours with actual use. Maybe more with fuelcell battery burning rubbing alcohol :)

My second daily laugh was RiotSniperX's "tard" I haven't heard that in forever, it's the perfect word for this Frankensteinian machine.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jawshoeaw[/nom]This is my daily laugh - but you know 5 years from now these specs will have been streamlined, RAID5 SSD in a single drive, etc. and the battery life will be standard 2-3 hours with actual use. Maybe more with fuelcell battery burning rubbing alcohol My second daily laugh was RiotSniperX's "tard" I haven't heard that in forever, it's the perfect word for this Frankensteinian machine.[/citation]
Thanks, i try hard.

Well obviously, 5 years from now, 8GB Of DDR3 will be nothing and people wouldn't be able to imagine a life without their 32TB of storage on one drive.

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
My last Acer laptop with the nVidia 7300GO graphics lasted about one hour on battery. I used it primarily as a workstation, as well. The battery was used mainly to switch from one power source to another. If this one lasts an hour, it's actually impressive.

epicpowder

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
This is a great move in the right direction. The whole point is to have a portable workstation with all the files sync up and ready to go full speed anytime you plug it in. A machine that is not always giving the hour-glass or spinning disc to wait while it juggles things behind the scenes while you twidle your thumbs. I was asking my custom GeekBox people for this type of machine just six months months ago. Portability in workstations is everything in today's world. With this box you can take it all with you and be ready to rock without transfering files and reconfiguring your work. I always carry extra batteries when on the road anyway. The need is so obivious, I can't believe that others do not see it. Weight and battery life are no matter if you can work from anywhere anytime. Make the chasis and cooling and my Geeks will buy it and built a custom unit for me.

G

Again it is being advertised as a portable workstation. 1.5TB isn't that much if you're dealing with let's say:

Professional Video/Audio -- and I emphasize PROFESSIONAL.

Military -- imagine them lugging around a CPU/MONITOR/MOUSE/KEYBOARD to setup camp. Also check out Blu-108 doesn't correlate with this reply but it's a nice weapon.

Plus, when people say they do work on the go, doesn't always necessarily mean they go to Starbucks and type reports.

With all the things this has I'm actually surprised it even gets 1 hour.

Portability doesn't mean it's meant to work away from an outlet. It just means it's easy to carry around, which in this case a workstation in a 12 pound package. Not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.