First Custom Gaming Computer; Need Advice

Jokerman18

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello, Im building my first computer and I plan on doing a lot of gaming. I already have my case which is a Cooler Master Stryker,
Now I have a few decisions to make that i could use advice on:
Motherboard: Im thinking an Asus Z77 with the thermal armor, I'd like some opinions on it as to whether you think its a good call or if I should get something else.
Now comes the question i've really been dicing backing and forth, I know I want an i7 but i would love some opinions as to wether i should go with the 3770K or the 3930k. As for as my budget goes I dont want to spend over 500 on each part,
As far as Ram goes Im thinking Corsair Vengeance DDR3 sticks, Again Opinions.
Now I would really like for someone to give me a rundown on Overclocking:
How to do it and what benefits it will give me. Its a new concept for me being slightly new to PC Gaming. Also Liquid Cooling?
I know Im asking a lot but i am very open to opinions! Thanks

-Dillon

Solution
asus boards are always a good call but the P8Z77V Pro has the exact same features except the removal of thermal armour so it comes down to if you like the look of the sabertooth over which is cheaper

you won't really benefit from jumping to a 3930k over the 3770k mostly because most games wont utilize the extra cores and you will have to get a different motherboard as the 3930k only supports the X79 chipset those of which are more expensive to their Z77 counterparts.

corsair is good all round memory may want to look into G-Skill if your build is predominately blue or red colour schemed

overclocking is the increase in clock speed in cpu's overclocking on intel cpu's is very simple as it usually just an increase in the multiplier and...

theloveablemoose

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
asus boards are always a good call but the P8Z77V Pro has the exact same features except the removal of thermal armour so it comes down to if you like the look of the sabertooth over which is cheaper

you won't really benefit from jumping to a 3930k over the 3770k mostly because most games wont utilize the extra cores and you will have to get a different motherboard as the 3930k only supports the X79 chipset those of which are more expensive to their Z77 counterparts.

corsair is good all round memory may want to look into G-Skill if your build is predominately blue or red colour schemed

overclocking is the increase in clock speed in cpu's overclocking on intel cpu's is very simple as it usually just an increase in the multiplier and a test with prime95 for stability and keep bumping the multiplier up in small increments if the pc crashes then you either need a higher voltage or may need to pull back the clock and a test for each clock increase usually for a few hours to make sure that the cpu is 100% stable

as for watercooling as you are a first time builder watercooling may be abit advanced but if you mean closed loop watercooling such as teh h100i then go for it they are very good for overclocking and keeping your cpu cool.

Solution

Jokerman18

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks! Is the 3770k an Ivybridge? And what PSU would you reccomend for my motherboard? And last question what cooling system would you reccomend if I didnt go into the liquid cooling?

theloveablemoose

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

noctua nh-d14 is always a good call gives similar performance to a h100 but is air cooling and is fairly easy to install

as for power supply anything from corsair,silverstone ,antec and so on my personal preferance would be the axi series from corsair they have 80+platinum certification, have corsair link software which allows for monitoring and are silent until 30% load which if you get the 760w version is around 200w which would be idle for your system and yes the i7 3770k is an ivy bridge cpu

Jokerman18

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

How many watts on the PSU should I be looking at for my system?