First custom water setup. Looking for advice.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hi all,

Up until now on all of my desktop builds I have been using the closed loop all in one coolers such as the corsair h100i, water 3.0, etc. They work and it's easy for me to set them up. I always just put the block on, attach the fans to the radiator and attach the radiator to the top panel of the case. boom, done.

Anyway, I am purchasing a thermaltake case, specifically this one: Thermaltake Case. I like the look of the white/greyish case and was hoping I could kind of do a snow theme.

Anyway, I figured maybe this would be a good opportunity to learn how to do a custom loop so I can use white tubing or something along those lines. If I'm only looking to cool the cpu via water is it still viable to use a custom loop?

Do you recommend I just search around for maybe a white pre-packaged kit that has all of the components instead of buying each piece separately?

Also, do you have any suggested resources for someone doing their first build of it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
HEDT is a separate story. Most mainstream setups do not require VRM cooling for many including, but not limited to not being pushed hard enough, enough airflow, good VRM design/components etc.
I have a Swiftech CPU block from over 10 years ago doing decent job in cooling CPUs from 775 to 115x sockets. The only reason it's not in my main rig is I was bored of it.
I'd probably switch to monoblock on my next CPU upgrade just because it will also be a mini ITX build. Though there is huge chance it will happen with DDR5 arrival to mainstream platform because I don't do anything meaningful ATM. couple of hours a week of playing "simple" games do not justify investment in performance. The only thing I'm willing to do is a custom liquid cooling...
If you're just going to cool the CPU, I'd stick with an AIO-metal parts can be painted and the hoses sleeved to get the look you're after-custom loops are really better used to cool both the CPU and GPU.

Not sure about who else provides kits but EKWB do, pricing will vary according to your location and they don't come out of the black/silver colour scheme.
Getting all the parts separately will be more flexible, and you'll be able to source coloured parts more easily, but there's a significant learning curve which daunts many first timers.

YouTube has some videos on the subject and, I think Newegg also hosts some tutorials.

WHERE you go shopping will depend on your location, I can aim you at a few European locations but only FrozenCPU and Newegg in the USA

AiO coolers are mostly pointless waste of money.
Custom loop in most cases is a hobby - an expensive one.
You can do practically whatever you want, but you must be prepared to face and deal with many potential issues. For example swapping a component in a system with hard line tubing is not trivial and time consuming.
That could be a good way to start with custom loops https://www.swiftech.com/drivex3aio.aspx go for the 360 model. it's already prefilled with pastel white liquid.
if you want some resources, just search the youtube.
If you want to learn, it takes time. you can start on Singularity Computers channel.

^ Know what you mean about the hobby part, mate, it's almost like Karate training-there's always that little more to tweak and improve, no matter how good you are.

I'd forgotten about that tasty Swiftech part, got some very good reviews as I recall and the 360mm system can handle adding a GPU block into the loop as well.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Oh wow I actually really like the looks of the swift tech you linked. That's a great find. I think I may end up picking that one up. I only see one review on newegg but it's a very positive one. Also seems to match the white theme. Thanks!

you welcome.
Just keep in mind, it's not a factory sealed AiO made of crap (hint asetek with whatever re-brand https://www.asetek.com/desktop/do-it-yourself/). This is a pre-assembled and pre-filled custom loop with quite good components. you can add/remove/change components as you like. including, but not limited to tubing, blocks, rads, pump, flow/temp meters, drain ports and whatever else you find useful for your needs/desires XD.
if and when you tired of the white, you can add a couple of die drops to give it different look.
remember to completely replace the liquid at least once in couple of years. preferably annually. you don't really need fancy (expensive) coolants. distilled water with few drops of biocide is probably the best coolant.

U might want to consider some other, a bit more compact cases : coolermaster H500P mesh white, corsair crystal 570X rgb white.

That swiftech allows for expandability which is great. But although if it were me, if I am gonna go for custom loop, I prefer a monoblock to a cpu block.

^ true. But ppl won't upgrade their mobo/platform as frequently as their gpu.

I mean, we all said to keep the 4790k and don't upgrade to a 7700k. Only the 8700k changed that a bit with more streaming and multitasking going on now. So if a person has 8700k, they are A OK for atleast 3 years.

That is the reason why I feel going all in with monoblock is better. And ofc, this is for mainstream. For hedt, monoblock is the best bet.

HEDT is a separate story. Most mainstream setups do not require VRM cooling for many including, but not limited to not being pushed hard enough, enough airflow, good VRM design/components etc.
I have a Swiftech CPU block from over 10 years ago doing decent job in cooling CPUs from 775 to 115x sockets. The only reason it's not in my main rig is I was bored of it.
I'd probably switch to monoblock on my next CPU upgrade just because it will also be a mini ITX build. Though there is huge chance it will happen with DDR5 arrival to mainstream platform because I don't do anything meaningful ATM. couple of hours a week of playing "simple" games do not justify investment in performance. The only thing I'm willing to do is a custom liquid cooling mini ITX case since I failed to find one that meets my requirements XD

Solution

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I am doing a full p.c. rebuild once the new intel cpus and RTXs come out. The goal for the loop was going to be purely aesthetics for the most part. As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay around $3k for the whole build.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I really like the looks of the corsair crystal but unfortunately I think that will be too small especially if I decide to SLI an rtx down the road.

Is there a specific reason you advise against the one I linked?