[SOLVED] First day at Overclocking school.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Hi,

I want to overclock the components of my PC to receive the best possible performance. Can folks please advise me on what can/should be overclocked. Are there levels not to go passed? etc... I don't know anything about overclocking so thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks.

System:

Motherboard: ROG Crosshai VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X …(Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo CPU Cooler RED LED 120mm)
GPU: AMD Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 Desktop Memory 3600Mhz (2 x 16GB) 32GB
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX1000 Power Supply 1000W 80 Plus Platinum
Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719
Case fans: Intake, (Noctua NF-A14 industrial PPC-2000 PWM 140mm Fan) X3
... Out take, (Noctua NF-A14 industrial PPC-2000 PWM 140mm Fan) X1... I plan on getting another one for more out take.

Solution
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/index
You can overclock most things, it's not locked down on the AMD side.
I wouldn't expect wonders from the CPU cooler. Pretty much as soon as you touch overclocking on the 5600X, it draws 110-130 watts. I can just barely cool it with a 240mm AIO at that point. Prime95 smallFFT.

1st step should be to find safe max voltage and temp to run. From multiple/knowledgeable sources, generally. Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean it is good advise. And Youtubers tend to use way too high a voltage and kill their chip within the week sometimes. For the 5600x, it is called the 'FIT voltage'. You can google that term to find out. It involves Prime95.
If those RipJaws are Samsung...

USAFRet

Titan
The first thing you need to know is - Baby steps.

Secondly...

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
The first thing you need to know is - Baby steps.

Secondly...
Thanks, yeah I don't plan to do anything to the PC for a long time. Just wanting to learn what's possible.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I wouldn't expect wonders from the CPU cooler. Pretty much as soon as you touch overclocking on the 5600X, it draws 110-130 watts. I can just barely cool it with a 240mm AIO at that point. Prime95 smallFFT.

1st step should be to find safe max voltage and temp to run. From multiple/knowledgeable sources, generally. Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean it is good advise. And Youtubers tend to use way too high a voltage and kill their chip within the week sometimes. For the 5600x, it is called the 'FIT voltage'. You can google that term to find out. It involves Prime95.
If those RipJaws are Samsung B-die, daily safe should be 1.50volts but they are temp sensitive. Somewhere around 45-50 C they can become unstable. 1.55 v with active fan over the RAM sticks. Like a 120mm fan. For daily.
For the GPU, increase one clock at a time, either Core or VRAM. Check with 3dmark/Superposition if it passes. Once you think you found a stable maxed setting, test in a couple of singleplayer games, meaning, play them, for a day or two. Don't just run a short in-built benchmark. Games will load the GPU differently and you might discover you have to drop clocks by 20-30 Mhz to be stable.

Solution

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

If those RipJaws are Samsung B-die, daily safe should be 1.50volts but they are temp sensitive. Somewhere around 45-50 C they can become unstable. 1.55 v with active fan over the RAM sticks. Like a 120mm fan. For daily.
For the GPU, increase one clock at a time, either Core or VRAM. Check with 3dmark/Superposition if it passes. Once you think you found a stable maxed setting, test in a couple of singleplayer games, meaning, play them, for a day or two. Don't just run a short in-built benchmark. Games will load the GPU differently and you might discover you have to drop clocks by 20-30 Mhz to be stable.
Can you suggest a CPU cooler that could cool a 5600x when over clocked?

What can I expect from my cooler when I over clock.? I'm guessing I could overclock a little?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Can you suggest a CPU cooler that could cool a 5600x when over clocked?

What can I expect from my cooler when I over clock.? I'm guessing I could overclock a little?

Stock behavior is what? PBO boosts to 4650 Mhz and comes down to 4400-4500 on my system. It drops because I don't have adequate cooling. So, if I was you, I would get something better than I have.
Which is Corsair H100X 240mm AIO with 2400 RPM fans (did not come included).
I have a static OC on my CPU @ 4450 Mhz, for various reasons. One is, that is all my FIT voltage allows. Another is trying to keep the noise down when idle/gaming.

What do you consider an overclock exactly? More than 3.7 Ghz? Because the CPU will do more than that out of the box with PBO enabled. As long as you have adequate cooling. Hyper 212, as far as I know, is pretty close to a stock cooler.
And remember, Cinebench is a benchmark, not a stresstest.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
With Ryzen Master and the AMD drivers, both the CPU and GPU can be easily OCed without doing anything too extreme.

In both cases, there are pre-built selections to enable OCing.

Have you tried (and then tested) those?

With the stock cooler, it will spin fast and create a lot of noise. Otherwise, if the CPU gets too hot, it will automatically slow down to compensate.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Stock behavior is what? PBO boosts to 4650 Mhz and comes down to 4400-4500 on my system. It drops because I don't have adequate cooling. So, if I was you, I would get something better than I have.
Which is Corsair H100X 240mm AIO with 2400 RPM fans (did not come included).
I have a static OC on my CPU @ 4450 Mhz, for various reasons. One is, that is all my FIT voltage allows. Another is trying to keep the noise down when idle/gaming.

What do you consider an overclock exactly? More than 3.7 Ghz? Because the CPU will do more than that out of the box with PBO enabled. As long as you have adequate cooling. Hyper 212, as far as I know, is pretty close to a stock cooler.
And remember, Cinebench is a benchmark, not a stresstest.
Thanks,

your Corsair H100X 240mm AIO is a water cooler? Is there a normal fan version that can cool to the level as your cooler?

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
With Ryzen Master and the AMD drivers, both the CPU and GPU can be easily OCed without doing anything too extreme.

In both cases, there are pre-built selections to enable OCing.

Have you tried (and then tested) those?

With the stock cooler, it will spin fast and create a lot of noise. Otherwise, if the CPU gets too hot, it will automatically slow down to compensate.
Thanks,

I've only learnt about this Ryzen Master and will look into it. I think it sounds like a first "safe" step for me into overclockng? Would it be safer than standard overclocking?

Last edited:

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Yep. Even with RM, the app will show you grave warnings about OCing. As mentioed earlier, baby steps.

Using the pre-configured profiles will help minimize risks.
Excellent, thanks for this info on Ryzen Master as it would have been a long time before I would have actully felt learned enought to do normal overclocking on my own.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Thanks,

your Corsair H100X 240mm AIO is a water cooler? Is there a normal fan version that can cool to the level as your cooler?
I doubt it but I haven't used aircoolers for 10 years. Reason being I had a Noctua D14 or something to cool my FX-8350. It couldn't handle it which lead me to get a Corsair H100i 240mm. That AIO could handle the heat. Not with the crap stock fans but with 2400 RPM fans. That AIO died a couple years ago which is why I now have Corsair H100x, it's very cheap, doesn't have software support. I don't care, I set my fancurve in BIOS. But I also moved over the 2400 RPM fans. They still work just fine.
If I wanna know temps, I launch HWInfo64, like I always do anyway.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
"BIOS" ? that's another thing I'm on my first day at... but on another day

"HWInfo64"? Can you give me a brief description of what this is/does. I will Google it also... but just want a real person to cross reference off. Incase I pick up wrong what I read.
(y)

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
"BIOS" ? that's another thing I'm on my first day at... but on another day

"HWInfo64"? Can you give me a brief description of what this is/does. I will Google it also... but just want a real person to cross reference off. Incase I pick up wrong what I read.
(y)

BIOS, or more correctly these days, UEFI. It handles the booting of your system, inputs, outputs etc. BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System. UEFI is a continuation if it. It's like a mini-OS these days. Your GPU has to support UEFI (most GPUs released in the past 8-10 years do, just some really old ones don't). Your bootloading from disk uses EFI. It's a filestructure that you can manipulate, useful if you have to troubleshoot or fix booting. Normally you never have to care about it.
BIOS/UEFI in the normal day to day speech just means the interface you get when you press F1/Del etc. Change voltages, turn on XMP, change bootorder etc.
CMOS reset = BIOS/UEFI reset. Resets to default values. Sees lots of use when I OC memory.

Hwinfo64 is a monitoring program. Shows temps, voltages, for just about all the sensors you have. Be it temp sensor on RAM (some have it), mobo temp (temp inside the case), CPU, GPU, Harddisks. All around a great monitoring program. If you use something like HwMonitor on Ryzen, it tends to show wrong values. So stick to Hwinfo64. If you are familiar with Linux, HwInfo is like lmsensors.

Last edited: