[SOLVED] First ever build. M.2 SSD reads in BIOS as "Not Supported" when it seems like it should ?

Dec 17, 2021
Working on my first PC build, so pretty new to the process still. Currently having trouble with the computer "not supporting" the M.2 SSD I have. Using a MSI Z690-A PRO WIFI DDR4 motherboard and a Western Digital Blue 1TB M.2 2280 SSD.

According to their respective specifications, the SSD's interface is SATA III 6 GB/s and the motherboard supports SATA 6 GB/s in its M2_3 slot, which the SSD is in. BIOS shows that the motherboard sees the SSD in that port, yet when I run "test SSD" its status reads as "not supported." Originally I had it in the M2_1 slot which doesn't support the SSD's interface and it didn't register at all in BIOS, but now in M2_3 it registers as existing, but not supported. BIOS' current update version is from September 2021. The build uses a hard drive of the same brand and that is working fine. Using Windows 10.

What am I missing? BIOS for this motherboard does have a pop up that states for storage that it is only compatible with NVMe 1.3 and up. Does the lack of NVMe from the SSD product name make it incompatible?

Last edited:
Solution
Working on my first PC build, so pretty new to the process still. Currently having trouble with the computer "not supporting" the M.2 SSD I have. Using a MSI Z690-A PRO WIFI DDR4 motherboard and a Western Digital Blue 1TB M.2 2280 SSD.

According to their respective specifications, the SSD's interface is SATA III 6 GB/s and the motherboard supports SATA 6 GB/s in its M2_3 slot, which the SSD is in. BIOS shows that the motherboard sees the SSD in that port, yet when I run "test SSD" its status reads as "not supported." Originally I had it in the M2_1 slot which doesn't support the SSD's interface and it didn't register at all in BIOS, but now in M2_3 it registers as existing, but not supported. BIOS'...

According to their respective specifications, the SSD's interface is SATA III 6 GB/s and the motherboard supports SATA 6 GB/s in its M2_3 slot, which the SSD is in. BIOS shows that the motherboard sees the SSD in that port, yet when I run "test SSD" its status reads as "not supported." Originally I had it in the M2_1 slot which doesn't support the SSD's interface and it didn't register at all in BIOS, but now in M2_3 it registers as existing, but not supported. BIOS' current update version is from September 2021. The build uses a hard drive of the same brand and that is working fine. Using Windows 10.

What am I missing? BIOS for this motherboard does have a pop up that states for storage that it is only compatible with NVMe 1.3 and up. Does the lack of NVMe from the SSD product name make it incompatible?
Try slot 4.

Solution