First Fully Functional Flexible Memory Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Are they talking about hard drives, RAM, and cache being the same thing?

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]What use is flexible memory? This is a proof of concept for something, but I can't figure out what.[/citation]
Couple days ago I read about the flexible input display from Nokia; this could be used in the same applications, ultimately towards devices that can be shaped by users depending on their needs.

mcpcna01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
This opens up devices of new shapes in areas and places like equipment, appliances that allow them to look good without forcing shape restrictions.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]What use is flexible memory? This is a proof of concept for something, but I can't figure out what.[/citation]
There are a lot of potential uses. People always talk about computers built in clothes, and something like this would make it more comfortable. You also have the super thin displays that are flexible and can be rolled up. You could theoretically make an entire computer than can roll up.

Not a lot of uses for general PCs though.

bucknutty

Distinguished

Imagine the memory of smart phone being a thin piece of plastic film applied to part of the case. If you don’t have to design around a specific size or shape chip, but instead could shape the chip to any thing you want that leaves you options to make the phone more fun looking, or to make more room for battery or cooling or cpu. Imagine this in tablets or laptops. It could be lighter and smaller and be applied like ribbon cable with only a bit of sticky.

Uses can only be imagined....... you really need to be more imaginative in the technical field to find uses for this.
Forget the flexibility part of equipment it might be added into, just imagine how easy it would be to transport it, no breaking and damaging if it got bent or twisted. Imagine it being in the HDMI cable of a TV or a PC just to store and transport data..... not just 2 ways but N directional....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Eventually they will find a way to make it transparent also
The next step is to get flexible & transparent batteries
Then storage
Then processors
Combine with flexible display and you have a sheet of clear plastic that miraculously is a whole working computer
It's all just a few years away and so obvious

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]zilnicra[/nom]we can totally use this for those suffering from alzheimers, implant it in the skull... they can now remember!![/citation]

Yeah, but what happens if Grandpa gets a Virus?
That would allow a Hacker to remotely control him, and lord knows what that leads too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.