First gaming PC advice request: $1000 1080p/60fps (mb streaming?)

Ivan Karpan

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Hi.

I'm 30 years old and I think it's time to make my childhood dream come true - get me a gaming PC.
I've built a couple of PCs over the course of my live, never for myself though. It just always made more sense to get a newer model of MacBook Pro just because it was optimal work-wise.
I own a PS4 Pro, a Vita, a 3DS, a Switch... And a gaping hole in my chest that these devices should've filled with the joy of gaming.

Would you please share your thoughts on the build below? I want to be able to play older (Fallout 4 modded to death) and newer (Destiny would be nice) games. If it's possible to make this a streaming machine - that would be great (I own a capture card and a proper mic already). I would also like to cut the costs, if at all possible.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next three months (of painstaking saving)

Budget Range: $1000 (no rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, possibly streaming

Parts Not Required: mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, capture card, mic

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: anything in the US, gonna use mail forwarding

Parts Preferences: AMD, Nvidia

Overclocking: Maybe (never done it, scared)

SLI or Crossfire: No (SLI bumps the cost of the graphics card and motherboard)

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

Additional Comments: if there is a way to bring the cost down and performance up - that would be just wonderful

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Samsung)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($299.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.84 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $966.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-23 10:33 EDT-0400

Inspired by link

Solution
Three months is a lifetime in PC hardware. There will be new GPU and CPUs released in that timeframe. So I would wait till you get a little closer before I put anything in stone.

Don't get the 1500x. The 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs have been released and the extra cores and threads on the 2600x will be very handy if you want to stream. The 2500x will be released soon, so it will be available when you buy. But I recommend going with the 2600 part as cores and threads are important for streaming. If you don't want to overclock, get the (x) CPU. If you want to overclock, then get the cheaper non (x) CPU. Basically, the (x) CPUs overclock themselves and do a really good job of it.

Since you are not a big in overclocking, get a (b)...
Three months is a lifetime in PC hardware. There will be new GPU and CPUs released in that timeframe. So I would wait till you get a little closer before I put anything in stone.

Don't get the 1500x. The 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs have been released and the extra cores and threads on the 2600x will be very handy if you want to stream. The 2500x will be released soon, so it will be available when you buy. But I recommend going with the 2600 part as cores and threads are important for streaming. If you don't want to overclock, get the (x) CPU. If you want to overclock, then get the cheaper non (x) CPU. Basically, the (x) CPUs overclock themselves and do a really good job of it.

Since you are not a big in overclocking, get a (b) motherboard. It will be cheaper and have the features you want. I put a b350 board in here, but when you buy the b450's will be available and I would go for it as you wont have to deal with bios updates to run the 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs.

The 850 EVO is a great SSD, but you can get a Crucial MX500 that will have no real world difference in performance but it is about 30% cheaper.

I put a 1070 in your build, but you may want to see what is out when you buy. The 1160 may be available and could be a good choice. I would not buy a 1060 at this point. That GPU is 2 years old and will start to show its age before long. If you want more longevity, I would go with the 1070.

I also selected a better PSU. You get what you pay for in PSUs and a malfunction can damage your hardware. So get a quality PSU from Seasonic, Corsair, or EVGA. The BQ are not the best line of PSUs from EVGA. You cant go wrong with the G2 or G3.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxXQGG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxXQGG/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC2 Gaming iCX Video Card ($409.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1019.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-23 11:02 EDT-0400

Solution
Everything looked pretty solid except I changed the PSU for a good one and changed the MB and CPU for the current ones.

More performance at less cost just doesn't happen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Samsung)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($299.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ B&H)
Total: $985.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-23 11:03 EDT-0400

Ivan Karpan

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
feelinfroggy777, jankerson, thanks a lot guys!
I'll check out the differences between what I've slapped together and you godly suggested to just make this a learning exercise.

I have not thought of three months being enough time to invalidate any build, especially since so much new stuff seems to be coming in shortly.

I will probably just accumulate 1,200-1,500 hundred by the end of the year, will make another build based on the direction of thought you've shown and post here again - when I'm ready to order all of this stuff right away. Should be a nice Christmas present. :)

One piece of advice, get a good monitor. It will make all the difference in the world. Monitors can be expensive, but they last much longer than PC hardware. A good monitor will last a decade or more.

Ivan Karpan

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014

Thank you!

Yeah... After pretty much missing all the positions for the builds I don't even know what would be a good monitor to be honest... Is this good Acer - XB270H Abprz 27.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor ? Will I benefit from 144Hz at all if I'm shooting for 60fps :-/

What is a good monitor? I'm thinking 1ms response time, 1080p obviously for my specific case... Anything else?

I would suggest getting a 144hz panel, even if your goal is 60fps. You will find games that are well optimized or older and they will run higher than 60fps. High refresh rate gaming is where it is at. I would take high refresh rate over resolution. If you get a 1070, it will push games more than 60fps at 1080p. A 1070 will push a 1440p monitor nicely.

There is a lot that goes into a monitor. You can spend over 1k on a really good one. But you dont need to go that high and still have a great experience. AS far as response time, anything under 5ms is considered good. I cant see a difference between 1ms and 5ms. Maybe in quick twitch fps games you could see, but I cant.

Panel type will drive response time. There are two main types of panels, IPS and TN. IPS panels have better colors and viewing angles, but their response time is slower (5ms, so still good) and they are expensive. TN panels colors are not as good and their viewing angles are not great. But if you are sitting in front of the monitor, viewing angles wont matter. TN panels are cheaper and have a faster response time (1ms). So it is give and take.

Adaptive refresh is another feature. AMD cards use free sync and Nvidia cards use gsync. So when you get a card, you are locked in. Adaptive refresh locks the monitor refresh rate the the fps pushed by the GPU with very little lag. So you end up getting butter smooth game play with no screen tearing. It is best when you get lower fps as at high fps, screen tearing is much less noticeable.

The monitor you selected is not a bad choice. I would say it should be your starting point. It checks all the right boxes with 144hz and it has gsync. It is only 1080p and has a TN panel, but adding 1440p or an IPS panel will push the price past $500.

Ivan Karpan

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014

Thank you so much for such a detailed response! I'm gonna go and continue making money now, will get back to you when I'm actually ready to commit. :)