First Gaming PC Build: Compatible/ Well Chosen?

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
This is my first gaming pc build so I'm new to the pc world. I just wanted someone to tell me if these parts will work well with eachother and if they don't please tell me a better alternative (just keep it around $1000). Also can someone tell me what the performance of my build is with some popular games. Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3kgmM8

Solution
If your budget permits, buy a 250gb Samsung 850 evo and a 2tb hard drive. WD red or blue is good.
Pictures take a trivial amount of storage.
Videos can get very large.
Here is a nice article that explains the differences in colors:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Probably just me, But I HATE air coolers. You're spending that much on a processor, I'd recommend placing a little more money on a water cooler. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-Certified-Hydro-Series-H100i-v2-Extreme-Performance-Water-Liquid-CPU-Coo-/381849833532?epid=901255421&hash=item58e806103c:g:SmYAAOSwiONYKxg9
Also, I'd drop one of your Hard Drives and I'd add an SSD for your boot and maybe a few other games. 1050TI wont last you very long with the future games like Destiny 2 or Battlefront 2, just my opinion.

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017

Thank you but no thanks because I don't want to go through the hassle of putting together a water cooled build because I have heard they are hard but I will change to a better graphics card.

You are compatible, but I have a few thoughts:

I7-7700K is as good as it gets today for gaming.
But the Graphics card is relatively weak.
If you anticipate upgrading to a GTX1080 or GTX1080ti class card sometime down the road, well. OK.

Today, you would have a better balanced gamer with a $200 i5-7600K with an overclock or a $200 ryzen and
A stronger graphics card like a GTX1060 or GTX1070.

Why two 1tb hard drives? If you are thinking raid forget about it.
I would start with a 250gb Samsung 850 evo for windows and defer on the hard drive until you need the space.

FWIW, I LOVE air coolers H7 is good.
My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
I would support an AIO cooler only in a space restricted case.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017

Thank you I might upgrade my graphics card or downgrade my CPU still deciding should I just go to one tb?

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from xBaeCon : "First gaming pc: is it well chosen/ compatible"

Can someone please tell me if this build is well chosen and some parts are not overkill. If a part is not well chosen please suggest another one. Thanks!

bignastyid

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from xBaeCon : "First Gaming PC Build: Compatible/ Well Chosen?"

If your budget permits, keep the i7-7700K in your build.
If you do not, you will forever wonder if you should have.

On the graphics card, Buy a EVGA GTX1050ti if you want for starters, EVGA has a 90 day free trade up plan where you can get full purchase credit on a stronger card if you trade up within 90 days. Check the web site for the details.
Regardless, you want to register the card promptly for better warranty.

Adding a hard drive is a trivial thing to do later. If you will be storing large sequential files like videos, that is what a hard drive is good for.

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games.
But, many things default to the "C" drive.
When a SSD nears full, it will lose performance and endurance.
240gb is the recommended minimum.

If you can go 240gb, or 500gb you may never need a hard drive.

Samsung EVO is a good choice for performance and reliability.

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017

I am going to be downloading pictures and videos from my phone onto my computer should I downgrade to 1tb and get an ssd?

If your budget permits, buy a 250gb Samsung 850 evo and a 2tb hard drive. WD red or blue is good.
Pictures take a trivial amount of storage.
Videos can get very large.
Here is a nice article that explains the differences in colors:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/

Solution

xBaeCon

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017

Thank you a lot that really helps!

TRENDING THREADS