First Gaming PC Build. Seeking Help.

NoKnowledge87

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I am new to the custom PC scene. In fact I am looking to build my first gaming PC. After some research this is what I have come up with and I wanted to run it past a few people who actually know what they are doing.

Parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wHOR

Let me know what you would/think should be changed about this, or if you need any more info.

Solution

700W/750W would be a good idea, especially if you want to overclock. I wouldn't do a whole lot more, as that would be overkill, but nice to have some at least a little room to work with.

The Corsair H50 should be fine for your overclocking, you could always get a dual rad setup, but I think you will be perfectly fine with the H50, especially if you're not doing some kind of extreme OC-ing, which it doesn't sound like you are.

ACTechy

Distinguished
For what you're spending I would definitely invest in an SSD for OS and maybe a program or two. You can easily pick up a 120GB for around $80 - $90 nowadays. Also what size monitor are you going to be running this on? I would do 650 Ti BOOST in SLI before I would spend another $80 - $100 on 660s, but that's just my opinion, and depends on your monitor situation. Other than that, great looking build, kudos.

Cheers

NoKnowledge87

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply. My monitor is 22" (1080p). I will have to look into the SSD. I have an extra TB hdd that I can throw in this.

Is there not much performance difference in the 650 Ti Boost vs. the 660?

Thanks again.

ACTechy

Distinguished

For sure the 660s will be a little better, but only marginally, for quite a bit more cost. Usually 660 is no more than 10% better than the 650 Ti BOOST. With the BOOSTs scaling super well, I think you would be hard pressed to see much of a noticeable performance increase between the two SLI setups. My only other thinking is that on one 1080p monitor, 660 in SLI is probably a little overkill. There's not much you couldn't max out with the BOOST SLI, for substantially less money. That's all if you really want SLI, cause you could just grab a GTX 670 and be golden at roughly the same price point as the BOOST SLI setup.

NoKnowledge87

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

My plan is to have 2 1080p monitors eventually. Just not right away. (Should have mentioned) My other monitor died so I am limited to one at the moment.

ACTechy

Distinguished
Well, 2 monitors won't make a bit of difference, since you can't play games on two monitors. In my opinion, you probably won't be able to perceive a difference in most gameplay situations between the two SLI setups, that's why I suggest the less expensive route. It's highly debated how many fps the human eye can really notice, but with an only 10%-ish increase with the 660s, I don't think you'd ever see those dollars translate into a better experience.

You can score a GTX 670 for around $310 nowadays, if you wanna go single card route. Having said that, I think the GTX 650 Ti Boost is one of the only cards worth SLI-ing over going for a better single card solution.

NoKnowledge87

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Which 670 should I look at? I have only really ever heard about EVGA, and even then I haven't heard much.

Thanks for all of this. You have been a great help.

NoKnowledge87

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I am now worried about the PSU I have selected. I have been reading that with the SLI I had selected when I started this thread that I would need a 700w min. Is that true?

Also, if I wanted to overclock the 3570k would I need to upgrade the PSU?

Any thoughts on a better cooler for overclocking?

RebelSoul21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
For a dual card setup I would definitely look into a higher wattage supply. Even if you have enough watts with the current one selected, more headroom never hurts. If you are one for aesthetics I recommend Corsair HX/AX series (more so AX). The have the absolute best cables out of the box I have seen on any power supply (black sleeving over black cables and black connectors).

As for your cooler, for the performance of the H50 you could do better with an equally priced air cooler. Water cooling really comes into its own when you start looking at H80+, otherwise top range air coolers are usually as good as or better than the closed loop coolers for the money. This is especially the case when you are using a good case like the one you selected.

ACTechy

Distinguished

700W/750W would be a good idea, especially if you want to overclock. I wouldn't do a whole lot more, as that would be overkill, but nice to have some at least a little room to work with.

The Corsair H50 should be fine for your overclocking, you could always get a dual rad setup, but I think you will be perfectly fine with the H50, especially if you're not doing some kind of extreme OC-ing, which it doesn't sound like you are.

Solution