First gaming rig components: feedback wanted

jonigiuro

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
EDIT: n0ns3nse made me aware that my setup was dumb, so he proposed a new high end setup, discuss his proposal instead of mine (I leave mine here, just so you can see what the original post was)

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to build my first gaming-rig and since I haven't been discussing hardware for a long time so to be honest I'm a little bit outdated and a little bit scared of buying incompatible things or wasting money.
I'm trying to build a high end machine that will get all current games running. Here's what I have picked so far:
Motherboard: Asus x99 Deluxe | 369$
Processor: i7 6700k | 377$
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 | 685$
HSF: Phanteks TC14PE | 98$
RAM: Corsair Vengeange 32GB DDR 4 | 277$
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar | 187$
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro | 512GB
Power Supply: Seasonic Snow 1050W | 272$
Case: Phanteks Phanteks Entoo Evolv | 130$
The whole things will cost me about 2705 $ (prices are actually swiss francs but chf/dollars are pretty much the same).

I would like to have feedback of some more experienced people here. I think the Power supply might be a little bit overkill (am I right?) but I though maybe one day I will want to throw in another Gpu. Do you see anything strange? Not compatible? Wasting money?
As I said, it's my first setup so I'm a little bit nervous.
Thanks a lot!

Jonas

Solution
hard to say.
I would not put MSI MB in my computer :)
SSD, you want decent NVMe SSD like samsung 950 or 960 - not SATA. NVMe SSD is 3-6 times faster.
Optical drive ... don't remember when i used one last time.
Power ... IMHO, EVGA G2/G3/P2 or Corsair RMx
regarding cooling ... you should have 2-4 case fans. most cases come with something. Pay attention that your case support at least 2x 120/140 front mounted fans and rear + top mountings for exhaust fans. it is better to have case that has dust filter on every opening.
For fans, IMHO, there is nothing better than Noctua NF-F120 for both performance and noise.
1. the CPU is incompatible with MB
2. the PSU is a huge overkill
3. do you really need 32GB of ram ?
here is a suggestion for high end gaming rig (german pricing supposed to be close to swiss):

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€351.52 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler (€76.43 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€187.84 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€104.94 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€630.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (€682.79 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case (€197.83 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€155.06 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €2386.41

here is the link to SSD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYRCIPG/?tag=pcpapi-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYRCIPG/?tag=pcpapi-20

jonigiuro

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks for the answer n0ns3ns3, I knew I was buying bullshit :) The setup you proposed is now to be used as reference for the possible next answers. So you would completely leave out the old school HD and just go with 1 TB SSD? Will this setup still work if I decide to add a second GTX 1080? Do you think 16 GB ram is enough? Ram is not so expensive so I thought it wouldn't hurt to go with 32 gigs of ram; do you think 16GB and 32GB won't make a difference?
EDIT: Since I'm here, does building it on my own really matter? A friend of mine built it on his own and he says "If you let it do from someone else you will keep having hardware issues and BSoD's, but since I'm a little bit scared of doing things wrong I was thinking of letting a shop doing the build.
EDIT2: Would the Asus Z170-Deluse be a valid alternative as motherboard? Where I'm buying they don't have the one you listed.

I'm using "just" a single 1TB SSD in my rig. it's more than enough for OS, programs and game library. you can always add a bit slower (still very fast) SSD.
they are going for ~250 euro for 1TB:
1TB: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/bh38TW/crucial-mx300-11tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct1050mx300ssd1
2TB: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/HWrcCJ/crucial-mx300-20tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct2050mx300ssd1
Yes you can add another GTX 1080 to this rig, but buy the time you are going to need it, GTX 1180/1280 or whatever they call it will be out and will be better.
there are many disadvantages to multi GPU gaming. the most important and incurable is high input lag. other annoying things are: limited support, glitches, stuttering/micro freezes, crashes. some of them solved with driver update or game patches, but some remain for good.
16GB is more than enough for running games and keeping browser with 100 tabs open :) anyway, adding more ram is very easy so it's not a problem when you going to need it.
As for building it yourself - i wouldn't trust anyone to do it since i can spend on it whatever time I need to do it properly. In a shop, they have limited time to complete the build. it's not that hard after all. tons of good step by step guides on youtube :)

jonigiuro

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks again. I'm sorry to bother you again, after a little bit of emailing with the shop, this is the configurationthey sent me, I'd like to have feedback on it:

Processor:Intel Core i7-6800K (3.40GHz / 15MB)
overclocking: yes - 10-30% mehr Leistung (Info lesen)
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 - 24dB(A)
Additional cooling: none
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-2133 16GB (4x4GB) CL15 - grau ||| I think 2x8GB makes more sense, right?
SSD: SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Basic - 500GB
HD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB 64MB Cache 5900rpm SATA3
Mainboard: MSI X99A SLI
GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 iChill X4 |||| I think I'd like to go with the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC Gaming ACX 3.0
Optical drive: LG DVD-Brenner GH24NSD1
Soundkarte: 7.1 HD Onboard Soundkarte
Power supply: Be Quiet Straight Power 10 700W, 80+ Gold - leise |||| hier geht's mit 500 W, oder?
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 - black
Language: English
Keyboard: Corsair Gaming Keyboard Strafe, MX-Red - Schweiz
Mouse G700S Wireless Gaming Mouse, kabellos

the whole things is about 3300$

The shop also offers a "Additional cooling" which I had chosen to be "Noiseblocker M12-S1 8 dB(A)" but in his proposal he left it out completely. Is the Noctua NH-D15 enough to cool the system?

I know a lot changed from your original proposal, but I'm doing a lot of research and back and forth and listening to opinions here.
Thanks agin

hard to say.
I would not put MSI MB in my computer :)
SSD, you want decent NVMe SSD like samsung 950 or 960 - not SATA. NVMe SSD is 3-6 times faster.
Optical drive ... don't remember when i used one last time.
Power ... IMHO, EVGA G2/G3/P2 or Corsair RMx
regarding cooling ... you should have 2-4 case fans. most cases come with something. Pay attention that your case support at least 2x 120/140 front mounted fans and rear + top mountings for exhaust fans. it is better to have case that has dust filter on every opening.
For fans, IMHO, there is nothing better than Noctua NF-F120 for both performance and noise.

Solution